Most Reliable GTX year/model?

I'm in the market for purchasing a newer pair of sea doos but thought it would be best to do some research first. I was aiming to get 2000 or newer sea doos. I would like to stick with the 2-cycle gtx 3-seater models as they appear to be the best choice for our group price wise and performance wise. Below are some questions I had regarding the gtx.

-What years/models of the gtx consistenly require the least amount of maintenance?

-What years/models should I absolutely avoid?

-I like the idea of fuel injection on the 2 cycle engines for the greater reliability for starting, but what are the differences between DI and RFI and which appears to offer the greatest performance/reliability?

-What are the major differences between the older hull and newer deeper hull in regards to driveability? (pros and cons of OPAS system; ability to do 360s etc.)

-I have read some forums that say the OPAS system greatly diminishes the ability to do 360s and skids. If the OPAS system were to be disabled, would it offer the same driveability of other models w/o the system?

Your help in any or all of these catergories would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PR.....

You know this question is right up your alley....

Welcome to the board jalbers!

If I were to do a compilation of my own experiences and what I have read and learn about others ski and the people that ride them,

2003 GTX NA and SC models seem to hold up well...
    2004 GTX NA and SC models - soma came thru with plastic pumps ealry on and later changed in production to alum pumps, so that`s a plus.
    If the machines were properly maintained and taken care of, I`ve heard of long hours of use no problem. In regards to SC models, they have ceramic washers in the sc clutch mechanism. information soley based on the trials and tribulations of the fore fathers of this board have educated us and proven that replacement of these ceramic washers with specifically designed steel washers are a must.
    Even New members with new machines are replacing these ceramics to prevent failures which leads to costly engine repair.
    so, if it is a supercharged model your are seeking this is something you need to do and know with any SC model.
    !- find out if ski had SC failure, this will be a deciding factor in purchasing that particular unit.
    2 if said ski was repaired under warranty and done correctly, you should still see many hours of enjoyment and thrills.
    3- even if machine was repaired with no warranty, find out how well the repair was done.
    2005- present, there seems to be alot of threads/posts on sc related problems. the newest occuring with the 2007 models just shortly after break-in...
    so things to consider: the GTX is a three seater, this is not really a good wave jumper or spin out model... the three seaters are very good rough water ski`s and you can get them to fly on smooth waters with a few mods and tuning. If spin-outs and wave jumping is what you seek, then I`d look into the 2 seaters like the RXP. Same scenario`s with the SC just have to shop smart and ask alot of questions.
    if your looking for a reliable GTX and not concerned with ultimate top end, then I`d go with the NA model.
    Regardless of any SC model ski you look at, IMHO you should do the steel washer upgrade if not done already. This seems to be the route all or most SC people are taking...

the earlier 951 powered GTX`s:
    although I like the 951 and have had a RXDI, the RFI and DI models are the most complicated machines of the bunch. sophisticated electronics, only a handful of techs really know these machines. So it`s basically the same deal, look at what your buying, evaluate the condition, hours, maintainance, etc, ask question to the seller and make an effective descision.
    I`m sure more people and Shibby1485 will jump in here with more info and related statistics... Hope this points you in a direction...PR...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 07-25-2007 at 04:01 PM.

PR,

Thanks for the quick info. Based on the auctions and ads I've been seeing, the 2003 and 2004 are probably out of our price range. I would like to keep the purchase price under $8-10k for the pair. If I could get a pair of SC or even NA 04's for under that I would do it in a heartbeat but we must be realistic. Also, I understand that the 2 seaters are better for wake jumping and spinning out but the 3-seater allows us to legally pull skiers and tubers as well as offer a more spacious ride for two people and a more comfortable/stable ride for touring.

We currently have both a 94 and 95 gtx 650cc that when in their youth could do spin outs and wake jumps quite easily (partially do to their light weight?). However in there old age we are unable to even pull up little kids on two skis and the doos have a hard time even reaching 30mph or so. For this reason, I'm thinking any newer 3-seater gtx capable of pulling skiers/tubers would be sufficient for us. Going 60+ mph is not nearly important to us as stability, manuverablity, and most importantly reliablity are.

Why not consider the GTI's? They are a bit lighter and NA.

Starting off by saying I love seadoo!!!

But you may also wanna keep an eye out for some of the yamaha line....

I know that if you look on ebay you may find a nice pair of seadoo/yama mix.... something like the xlt series or the FX series.... they offer a lot of stability and I know you mentioned you favored the two stroke....

Seadoo is a pioneer in the 4 stroke SC engine so there may be some issues fitting your price range with a decent 2 stroke boat....

Just a thought.... I am incredibly partial to seadoo, but I crave speed... handling is #2 on the list....

Food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by jalbers View Post
    PR,

Thanks for the quick info. Based on the auctions and ads I've been seeing, the 2003 and 2004 are probably out of our price range. I would like to keep the purchase price under $8-10k for the pair. If I could get a pair of SC or even NA 04's for under that I would do it in a heartbeat but we must be realistic. Also, I understand that the 2 seaters are better for wake jumping and spinning out but the 3-seater allows us to legally pull skiers and tubers as well as offer a more spacious ride for two people and a more comfortable/stable ride for touring. True.

We currently have both a 94 and 95 gtx 650cc that when in their youth could do spin outs and wake jumps quite easily (partially do to their light weight?). However in there old age we are unable to even pull up little kids on two skis and the doos have a hard time even reaching 30mph or so. For this reason, I'm thinking any newer 3-seater gtx capable of pulling skiers/tubers would be sufficient for us. Going 60+ mph is not nearly important to us as stability, manuverablity, and most importantly reliablity are.
    I see , then you just have to be patient and take your time, a good deal will come your way...
    I think even the 130 HP 951, might give a bit of struggle with driver/spotter and kids in tube...
    You just might want to look for Yami triple 2 stroke, and maybe post in their classified forum, there`s a bunch of guru`s there to point you in the right direction...
    Happy ski shopping! ...PR...

Thread Information