What is this on water box... Looks like Rave Valve?

My buddy brought over his 96 GSX that is filling with water. I hooked it up to a hose and sure enough it's filling with water. There is a black round valve that looks like a rave valve but a bit larger on the water box and it is leaking. There is a hole in the bottom that water is coming out and it seems to be coming out the top where the 2 cap meets the base. What is this, and more importantly, how do I get it to stop leaking?

Sorry, I'm 2 stroke stupid. Thanks all.

+1
    It is a pressure regulator assembly. It is part of the cooling system. Water is injected in the water box at a certain RPM to help control back pressure on the motor & to keep the water box cooled at higher rpms. It helps regulate pressure on the cooling system also.

COOLING SYSTEM

Got it, ok, I figured out why it is leaking. The rubber expandable thing is split and the clip holding it to the base is rusted through. So it needs a new regulator.

Two questions. Can I rig it to run by yanking the valve out and sealing the box until the new one comes in? Also, there are two hoses connected to the base of the regulator. 1 goes to the line that goes to the head, the other to, what I think is, the j-pipe. Does water run through both these lines? If not, what do they do?

Thanks!

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dochere195 View Post
    Got it, ok, I figured out why it is leaking. The rubber expandable thing is split and the clip holding it to the base is rusted through. So it needs a new regulator.

Two questions. Can I rig it to run by yanking the valve out and sealing the box until the new one comes in? Also, there are two hoses connected to the base of the regulator. 1 goes to the line that goes to the head, the other to, what I think is, the j-pipe. Does water run through both these lines? If not, what do they do?

Thanks!

replace just what is broken....and DO NOT bypass it, you will burn the exhaust up in 5 minutes....I've done that one too many times, that regulator injects water to cool the exhaust system....
    http://stefario.smugmug.com/gallery/...#30811939-L-LB

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    replace just what is broken....and DO NOT bypass it, ...
    Hey Danny, can I pull the valve out of the housing and seal the hole in the cup where the valve comes through and the grommet goes with silicone so the water just flows through the two hoses all the time?

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by dochere195; 07-25-2007 at 07:31 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    Hey Danny, can I pull the valve out of the housing and seal the hole in the cup where the valve comes through and the grommet goes with silicone so the water just flows through the two hoses all the time?

Thanks for the help.

kinda, you need to restrict the water flow into the box, can't have it 50/50......because then less water is going to cool the motor and too much water will flood the box and restrict power.....

Windsor, Ontario /Higgins Lake Michigan/ St. Joseph's Island, Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Thanks for the help.

kinda, you need to restrict the water flow into the box, can't have it 50/50......because then less water is going to cool the motor and too much water will flood the box and restrict power.....
    So would your conclusion be to not do this? Mechanic I was going to use said this was the way to go? Sounds like it will noticeably effect the performance of the Ski, would you agree?

Don't skimp on fixing it. Buy the right replacement parts, or else you could lose your exhaust or motor. Trust me.

Windsor, Ontario /Higgins Lake Michigan/ St. Joseph's Island, Ontario
    delet
    Last edited by sobocopper; 08-05-2015 at 05:26 PM.

Thread Information