Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Break-in For 4-tec Na

I am a noob and have been riding a 99 GTXRFI for a year and a half. After weeks of shopping, test rides and research, I will pick up my new 07 GTX Friday. 155 na. After the search of this forum and the pwc forum, I have read so many different approaches to the break-in, most for the SC. What about this trend towards warm it up for ten minutes and then some short full throttle runs right away? It sure is tempting. Is there any validity to the method ? I want to do it right and then look at some mods after. Hopefully the experts and guru`s like the Hulk can help.

+1
    I'm sorry but they aren't many mods for that craft so you're out of luck there. For break-in give it that 10 minute warm-up you were talking about. Vary your RPMs constantly and don't be afraid to give it wide open blasts. People around here recommend either 10 seconds of full throttle each hour or 1 second of full throttle for each hour on the machine up to 10 (1 second WOT at 1 hour, 2 seconds WOT at 2 hours etc..)
    I'm sure others will chime in

Thumbs up Thanks

At my age I am already happy with the improvement of stock machine over my 99. I was mainly looking for 4 stroke and more comfort for the often choppy lake I ride on. I do like the speed though and will be hoping for the high 50`s other riders talk about for the GTX 155. The break in tip is great thanks.

Closed mouth no get fed,...... travelboysteve's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    I'm sorry but they aren't many mods for that craft so you're out of luck there. For break-in give it that 10 minute warm-up you were talking about. Vary your RPMs constantly and don't be afraid to give it wide open blasts. People around here recommend either 10 seconds of full throttle each hour or 1 second of full throttle for each hour on the machine up to 10 (1 second WOT at 1 hour, 2 seconds WOT at 2 hours etc..)

What he said,......I was researching stuff for my new truck last year and wondering about break ins on that, as I was in the middle of modding it out..what I found was a website from a race engine builder who posted basically that most, not all, combustion engines are broken in incorrectly as stated from the manufacturers, (mostly warranty liability stuff apparently) and that the first few hours of an engines life may actually dictate how good or great it will perform down the road. To sum it up, make sure it has oil and crank the piss out of it,......vary the throttle as mentioned above, but the idea of high RPM's is to seat the rings, etc. and at constant low RPM's, according to this guy, (and others whom I trust), the engine is not "seating" things as it should. I am no mechanic, so please don't flame me,.......I'm just agreeing with the above comments, and I can say from my own experience thus far with different machines, is that they run damn fine broken in this way,......Ride it like you stole it!!!!!!

Closed mouth no get fed,...... travelboysteve's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by petegent8 View Post
    At my age I am already happy with the improvement of stock machine over my 99. I was mainly looking for 4 stroke and more comfort for the often choppy lake I ride on. I do like the speed though and will be hoping for the high 50`s other riders talk about for the GTX 155. The break in tip is great thanks.
    Just drop a 350 chevy in it,........it'll move
    Kidding,...Congrats on your new ride,.......

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by petegent8 View Post
    ... What about this trend towards warm it up for ten minutes and then some short full throttle runs right away?...
    petegent8... you just bought the most reliable and predictable engine to ever fill the interior of a fiberglass enclosure

You could probably pin the throttle at hour 1 and never let up... and never have a problem.

The rest of us could talk, debate, brag, discuss...(cuss)... our SCIC versions of the same engine... but you, my friend, will be scooting down the water when the rest of us are scratching our heads saying... what the f#*k

Enjoy!

Jeff

OH YA!!!

You guys are great. I think I will be breaking it in with some ring seating wot. Thanks again. 05Limited, if I was thinking about any buyers remorse you killed that. Last run on the old machine today and then tomorrow "OH YA" !!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post

ditto on dat

I warmed mine up for 20 minutes varying the throttle. Stay away from no wake zones. After 45 minutes, I was jazzin' the throttle all the way up/down

At 1 hour, I was running WOT for short 2-3 bursts. still varying off/on with the RPMs. As Jerry told me, don't be scared to break it in.

By hour 3, I was running it like I stole it

Hello Everyone...

New here... been carefully breaking in my 07 GTX NA also...

Dealer insisted on mixing "a little" 2 cycle oil in my first tank
    of fuel...

I just read parts of the manual tonight... Manual states
    do not add oil???

Any thoughts from the experts...

Also... No flames please... but he (the dealer) requested me
    to run the 50 mph learning key for the first two tanks of fuel.
    Also had me vary the throttle as much as possible...

Yesterday that finally ended and I put the "real" key in and
    ran it wot on occasion.

The unit runs great! Actually almost as fast as my former
    ski, an 03 gtx sc...

Please, your thoughts, especially on the 2 cycle oil and the learning key...

Thanks,

Carl...

Banned User

learners key

i heard never use the learning key for break-ins....i have also heard to use them----which is it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information