Stock exhaust question

I have a 1998 Seadoo XP Limited. I'm burning the rubber coupler on the tuned pipe. Water is injected righ into the exhaust chamber right? If water doesn't get injected into the exhaust it will overheat the coupler and cause it to melt right?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by waterburn View Post
    I have a 1998 Seadoo XP Limited. I'm burning the rubber coupler on the tuned pipe. Water is injected righ into the exhaust chamber right? If water doesn't get injected into the exhaust it will overheat the coupler and cause it to melt right?

yup, check to see if you have any obstructions there....bad regulator = burned coupler, I've done it too many times...

I checked the regulator on the waterbox and seems to function correctly no damage at all to it. I can blow into one end and it will raise the diaghram up. I'm not to sure if the hose routing is correct I bought the ski in bad shape. Anyone have hose routing diagram for 98 xpl?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by waterburn View Post
    I checked the regulator on the waterbox and seems to function correctly no damage at all to it. I can blow into one end and it will raise the diaghram up. I'm not to sure if the hose routing is correct I bought the ski in bad shape. Anyone have hose routing diagram for 98 xpl?
    There should be directional arrows on the sides of the hose barbs. If memory serves me correctly, in at the bottom, and out at the top to the midpipe.

+1
    RQ is correct. The black hose coming from the water rave valve looking thing goes to the barbed fitting on the side of the pipe (where you put the bolt through the bracket to hold the pipe on). Then you should follow the pisser from the side of the boat, it should run into a t type fitting. There should be two hoses coming off of it. One should go up to the head pipe area by the exhaust manifold and the other one should go to the top barb fitting in the middle of the pipe where they join together.
    You probably have the water coming in at the top and the pisser on the side of the pipe. Reverse those two hoses and I bet it clears up your problem.
    SHOOTER

I found the problem the hoses on the exhaust pipe were switched. Know wonder the guy before me had so many problems with this ski. I'm now working on another problem the driveshaft bearings and seals need to be replaced and the wear ring is being replaced. Thanks for the help all.

Thread Information