Installing Wear Ring in 99 XPL

I know the wear ring gets discussed a lot here, I searched but did not find a thread that addressed my dumb question. I had a major failure of my wear ring on my 99 XPL, leaving only the hard white plastic, the black plastic was 90% gone. I assume the wear ring started to spin, and come apart. Anyway, I got a new wear ring and the remains of the old one out without any problems. In reading the BRP manual, it says to install the side with the lip into the pump, but I am not sure which end that is.

My new wear ring has black plastic on both ends, on one end the black plastic is about 2X the other side. (If there is a lip on one end, I did not see it.) On the end with the smaller black plastic, there are small holes drilled black plastic, in the end. Could someone please tell me which end goes into the pump, and which end interfaces with the neoprene seal?

Thanks,
    Craig

+1
    the inside of the wear ring has a radius on one side. the side with the radius should be facing the rubber seal (i don't think the xpl's had a neoprene seal). you should also have 4 small screws that go through the pump housing and hold the wear ring in place.

Thanks JayZ! Put it in last night following your info. I looked everywhere and did not find any screws that hold the wear ring in place, and have seen on other boards, that 99's might not have screws. Off to the lake this afternoon to test it out.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out,
    Craig

Not sure about XPL's but my '01 GTX DI has 4 set screws (8mm head bolts) that hold the wear ring in place. but the previous recommendation is correct with putting the rounded edge towards the pump intake side. I followed the manuals instructions for pressing it in with green loctite and then drilling/installing set screws. I got lucky and by freezing the new wear ring it fell right into the housing without a problem.

+1
    there should be 2 screws on the bottom of the pump and 2 screws under the removable bailer tube piece. you may need to add these screws to keep the wear ring from spinning in the pump. that may be the reason you pooched the first wear ring......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
    there should be 2 screws on the bottom of the pump and 2 screws under the removable bailer tube piece. you may need to add these screws to keep the wear ring from spinning in the pump. that may be the reason you pooched the first wear ring......

yes drill some holes if you need to and add the screws

Dan (drb)

Ran the XPL for about 20 minutes last night before lightning approached, it ran great. Based on the replies I got, I will drill and install screws to keep the wear ring from spinning, before going out again. Any suggestions on the screw size to use? I “assume” it is going to be a small stainless steel sheet metal screw.

Again, thanks for the help!
    Craig

If you have a bronze pump you should not need the screws, if you have a all plastic pump then you should use the screws. IMHO

Thread Information