What To Align First, Pump Shoe or Engine?

Seeing as both are going to be out. I might as well get a new pump shoe because mine is pretty beat up

What do you align first?

Thanks. I checked like in Jerry's pics with the square. Mine is only 1/16th off. Thanks

+1
    you would align the shoe to the hull FIRST. make sure when u do this part you find the happy medium when putting the alignment shaft thru the alignment plate mounted to the pump shoe. with the shaft to far through the plate into the hull leans the alignment shaft down in hull opening giving bad reading and as well with the alignment shaft to far back out of the plate outside the boat leans it up giving a false reading. u MUST find the spot the shaft fittinging in and thru the plate and thru the hull opening is in its most BALANCED SPOT. THEN u check to see how far your shoe is off to the hull boot.
    after u secure the pump shoe to the hull. siliconing it propoerly obviously overnight or even a couple days maybe. then u align your motor to your shoe and should have true driveline aligment.
    at least thats what im doing to my 2007 RXP already gotta get it all when i bolt my Stage III kit i want over 80 out of the gate if i can. so we will see what happens. good luck with your shoe and plate.
    watch for lumps on the seal face of the NEW shoes as well makkes for sealing problems. i lightly sanded some lumps out and intend to silicone coat the seal face and let that dry BEFORE i bolt the pump up on reassembly.
    Steve (rides it like he STOLE it) Reid

Thanks Reid for the info. So align the pump shoe first with the engine alignent tool from SBT. Then After the shoe is aligned, you can proceed with engine aligment.

preciated it

+1
    yes pump shoe to hull boot w/aligment plate then motor to pump shoe w/aligment plate. no problem your welcome.

+1
    Set the motor FIRST, with the old ride shoe in place. Then install a new shoe. The motor needs to be in it's natural place if possible.

Jawz, your insight into the whole tub flexing issue with the hull is right on.

Looking at the evidence, I believe you 100 percent about the stupid flexing hull. No hitting of rocks that i was thought to believe.

Do you know what ever happened to the rest of the seadoo inner tub reinforcement?

on th pwc today website rude dog got fired and that was the end of it.

I wonder if anybody else got pics on the inner tube reinforcement?

+1
    the motor needs set AFTER the pump shoe is TRUED to the HULL i promise. then u align the motor to the shoe with the aligment plate and shaft. after the pump shoe is set and dryed in place. there is NO other way to assure proper/close as u can get with these tools aligment. the alignment shaft has to be CENTERED thru the hull boot when setting the pump shoe FIRST and the shoe needs to be dryed in place. then u can align the motor to the shoe but regardless the shoe needs aligned so the aligment shaft goes thru the CENTER of the hull boot and that has NOTHING to do with engine alignment at first. also put your ride plate back in should you have the ride plate removed but after setting shoe then u can align the motor to the shoe itself with the same tools obviuosly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1634.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	32922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1636.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	32923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1635.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	32924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1638.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	32925  

+1
    Reid is correct. I aligned (runout) on the Navy MKV boats, commonly known as the Mark 5. These are jet driven. The pump shoe needs to be trued first, then the motor is set and aligned. DO let the motor sit at minumum overnight to allow hull flex then proceed to align. Shaft driven props are different in hulls. First gearbox, then align motor (runout) then shaft. At the shipyards piano wire is used for shaft alignment. Pumps are different.
    Last edited by HOSS; 07-27-2007 at 06:23 AM.

+1
    thanks for the BACKUP Hoss much appreciated!!!!!!!

Thread Information