Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Anatomy of a supercharger bearing failure

I have always wondered why i see so many superchargers come thru my shop with failed bearings. We see some that last 200 hours or more and then some only 70, 50 or even 20 hours..... or less!

I rebuild on average 20 superchargers a week. Out of those 20 i see at least 2 that have bearing failures. Last week Mitch sent me a supercharger that had a failed front bearing which happened to be a ceramic bearing so of course I was extremely interested in seeing this supercharger so i could try and uncover the reason why it failed. Some of you have probably read the post i made on his thread with my findings about the front bearing seating area being machined slighly off center. Well, tonight i rip into another supercharger for a customer with a failed (stock) bearing and without even putting a caliper on it i can visibly see that the front seat is off center

So this could be a very good explanation of why we see so many bearing failures and would also be a definate cause of premature ceramic washer failure that we see so often. If that shaft is not perfectly straight and the bearings not aligned with each other things are going to break.

Whats the cure? JimC mentioned in the other thread about installing larger bearings. To have the housing align bored you would need to go with oversized bearings anyway. I'm in love with this idea. Having a larger bearing and having them both aligned (blue printed) should be the hot ticket. I'll definately do some experimenting with this idea and share my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    I'll definately do some experimenting with this idea and share my findings.
    This is why you are highly respected by so many people. Not to be an ass kisser, but I have a ton of respect for people that go out and risk their setup, time, and especially $$$ on new ideas. Not only Jerry, but anyone else for that matter. Even though something may sound great it always has the possibility to end up in a huge failure. The opposite holds true for a bad idea, sometimes the dumbest things turn out great.

Jerry, this sounds great. Hopefully it works out for everyone's benefit on here.

+1

Question

Thanks for your research Jerry. If I may ask, what are the symptoms of a failed or failing SC bearing ?

What happens when the Bearings fail? Do they cause then engine to seize? loss of rpms?

Or do you find pieces like the washers all in the catch can area ( or whatever you call it ) in the engine?

my engine seized, dont know yet if it was a bearing failure yet. Its n the shop will find out tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by RXPkid View Post
    This is why you are highly respected by so many people. Not to be an ass kisser, but I have a ton of respect for people that go out and risk their setup, time, and especially $$$ on new ideas. Not only Jerry, but anyone else for that matter. Even though something may sound great it always has the possibility to end up in a huge failure. The opposite holds true for a bad idea, sometimes the dumbest things turn out great.

Jerry, this sounds great. Hopefully it works out for everyone's benefit on here.
    I second that! ...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by RXPkid View Post

You little ass kisser!!!!
    just kidding! well said....Jerry rules!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    Thanks for your research Jerry. If I may ask, what are the symptoms of a failed or failing SC bearing ?
    When it happens you will know it. There will be a horrible screeching noise from the impeller rubbing the housing and sometimes it will even lock the engine up.

+1
    Jerry,
    get the dimensions on the ones that are off.... Send it to SeaDoo, and they MIGHT be willing to actually start swapping these pieces out.

Seriously, I'm sure BuRP has been desperately looking for a way out of this clutch/bearing fiasco since day one. Wrap up the data and take it to the top. You might have something here. I'd be willing to bet the tolerance stack-up is massive if the angles are JUST right.

Seriously, this might be something they can save face AND help the customer.

Plus if that piece (or pieces) are vendor-supplied, they can get credited up the line. Corporations don't like to get fucked by their vendor. Trust me.

+1
    Good idea Mark! I will definately bring this up when i meet with them next month

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information