Thread: engine stalling

engine stalling

Hey I have a 2001 XLT 1200. The ski was just purchased used and the first day we tried riding it, the ski rode for 10 minutes, cut out at low rpms and stalled only to be towed back. We assumed it was water in the gas or needed new spark plugs and battery or fuel filter so we purchased all and the ski ran great in our driveway. Then we went to put it backin the water again the next day and it was groggy for a while at low rpms but then after a half hour it ran great all afternoon (4 hours). Then today we put it back in the water and it ran good and then 45 minutes into riding we had to keep pumping the throttle to keep it running only to have it stall. We saw nothing was in the grate and the ski would idle about 5- 10 seconds if it started until it cut out again so it had to be towed out. We then took it out of the water at the boat ramp and ran it on land and it started right up and sounded great. So we put it back in the water and we couldnt get it to idle for more than 15 seconds. As soon as throttle was applied it cut out. Please Help Thanks

+1
    Sounds like you have carb issues or your fuel switch could even be clogged. Try running the ski with the switch in reserve and see how it acts. If that does not work, bypass the switch all together. If is still acts up, you need to have someone check your carbs. Other than running to figure out your problem, do not try and ride the ski. You can sieze your motor if you are not careful.
    Oh,
    And I know I may sound like a broken record, but if you have to remove your carbs, go premix or find a better way to secure your oil lines. On a 2001, you are 1 ride away from the oil lines coming off and seizing.
    Last edited by KirkF350; 07-26-2007 at 08:00 PM. Reason: added content

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    Sounds like you have carb issues or your fuel switch could even be clogged. Try running the ski with the switch in reserve and see how it acts. If that does not work, bypass the switch all together. If is still acts up, you need to have someone check your carbs. Other than running to figure out your problem, do not try and ride the ski. You can sieze your motor if you are not careful.
    Oh,
    And I know I may sound like a broken record, but if you have to remove your carbs, go premix or find a better way to secure your oil lines. On a 2001, you are 1 ride away from the oil lines coming off and seizing.
    What Kirk said. Best thing you could do is go through the entire fuel system anf find the problem before it siezes the motor.

Thread Information