Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Hull Filled With Water

Okay, hull was very slowly filling with water so I decided to head back to the ramp. On the way back to the ramp/when the ski was sitting while I was backing in the trailer the hull filled 1/2 way with water. I got the ski out and took the drain plugs out. The water was hot. This leads me to believe it may be an exhaust hose or something? I have only not checked 1 hose (one under the exhaust manifold) and it's because the manifold was hot still. The only other option is the carbon seal IMO.

How do I check the carbon seal for water leakage?

How do I fix it as fast as possible?

I know there are threads on this but I cannot find them and need advice ASAP.

What are other possibilities?
    I had the pump off but don't think the pump seal seated wrong/would cause this must water intrusion.
    Intercooler lines are all intact and nothing leaks while it's on the hose (even while hitting the throttle).
    So it's in the water that is the problem. That's why I suspect the carbon seal.

Also, on the way back to ramp the boost gauge was bugging out. It was reading 120 psi of boost and then - 130 psi and going all through a large range of numbers. Don't know what this could be Will a leaking intercooler (slight leak) cause the boost gauge to do that? What do I do if some water from an intercooler leak got into the throttle body etc..?

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    Okay, hull was very slowly filling with water so I decided to head back to the ramp. On the way back to the ramp/when the ski was sitting while I was backing in the trailer the hull filled 1/2 way with water. I got the ski out and took the drain plugs out. The water was hot. This leads me to believe it may be an exhaust hose or something? I have only not checked 1 hose (one under the exhaust manifold) and it's because the manifold was hot still. The only other option is the carbon seal IMO.

How do I check the carbon seal for water leakage?

How do I fix it as fast as possible?

I know there are threads on this but I cannot find them and need advice ASAP.

What are other possibilities?
    I had the pump off but don't think the pump seal seated wrong/would cause this must water intrusion.
    Intercooler lines are all intact and nothing leaks while it's on the hose (even while hitting the throttle).
    So it's in the water that is the problem. That's why I suspect the carbon seal.

Also, on the way back to ramp the boost gauge was bugging out. It was reading 120 psi of boost and then - 130 psi and going all through a large range of numbers. Don't know what this could be Will a leaking intercooler (slight leak) cause the boost gauge to do that? What do I do if some water from an intercooler leak got into the throttle body etc..?

Damn James, that sucks. Maybe you should quit talking to me. I hope you get this all sorted out ASAP.

Did you check the hole that connects to the thru hull? See if you can isolate the leak...don't just check clamps, but fully inspect hoses for cracks. My friend had a hose blow out on a GPR and the ski filled really quick, and it wasn't too big. Granted it melted the sound suppression box too.

Good luck bro. Shoot me some PM's later if you want and we'll see if we can't narrow some things down if you don't find it right away or something.

+1
    Checked the thru-hull, nothing that I can see would cause this. As for hoses being torn and such, it was on the hose and nothing spilled out as fast as it would've had to in order to do this damage. Thanks for the ideas though Rex. I will take you up on your offer if I run out of ideas. I'm going to check the hose to the exhaust manifold. Other than that, I'm thinking it must be the carbon seal. The phrase carbon seal is starting to sound like a oxymoron to me.

I've put zip ties around that stupid accordian hose to give it some more tension, and then back it in the water to check it.
    Water leaks suck.

Did you check the bailer hoses and the bailer tubes in the venturi? if a tube is missing or if your bailer tubes arent zip tied up high, they will let in water.

+1
    checking it on those will not work. It needs to be backed down into the water sitting on the trailer. The pump pressure is much greater than running it on the hose. I would say carbon seal if it were not for your comment about the water being hot. There are hoses that run to and from the jpipe, check the ones on top and bottom of the jpipe. If the st/st weave on the jpipe has gone bad would that leak exhaust and water into the hull? If its not one of those it has to be the one going to the manifold, there is a lot of hose under the engine. you need to disconect that hose and check it carefully. good luck bro.

+1
    sdjoe, i think running it on the hose will work for checking internal leaks. by internal i mean hoses with gashes or disconnections. but for pump leaks and drive shafts and such you are right about backing it into the water.
    rxp steve, the bailer tubes are zip tied to the original location (i know you're supposed to change the ties to clamps) but they are still high up. i'm not sure of the venturi. i think i'm going to go out and pull the pump right now and also check the line going from the intercooler to exhaust manifold.
    rideallday, did putting more tension fix the problem or did you have to buy new parts? did you even have a leak in the first place or were the ties just precaution?

You should be able to see the bailer tubes in the venturi without removing it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    sdjoe, i think running it on the hose will work for checking internal leaks. by internal i mean hoses with gashes or disconnections. but for pump leaks and drive shafts and such you are right about backing it into the water.
    rxp steve, the bailer tubes are zip tied to the original location (i know you're supposed to change the ties to clamps) but they are still high up. i'm not sure of the venturi. i think i'm going to go out and pull the pump right now and also check the line going from the intercooler to exhaust manifold.
    rideallday, did putting more tension fix the problem or did you have to buy new parts? did you even have a leak in the first place or were the ties just precaution?
    Some hose and fitting leaks will not leak under hose pressure. To properly test for leaks the craft must be on the trailer in the water and the engine reving past 4 grand.

My bet is a fitting or the hose itself running from the intercooler to the manifold or one of the small hoses on the jpipe. Unless its the carbon seal and the reason the water was "hot" was heat off the engine

1) - Check your waterbox- It is probably cracked.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information