Thread: 951 diaper???

+1

951 diaper???

i got a 2003 xpdi, of course its a 951, and wears a diaper
    i have never had a 951 before, and i am not sure how the diapers should be fitted.
    obviously theres a custom molded clamp type diaper that fits snug AROUND the gasket area. that one looks good.
    but theres those two rubber flapper type diapers on either side???
    does anyone know how they are supposed to fit?
    one flap sort of goes in front of the air intake, the other flaps UP onto the pipe???
    both seem loose, and almost seem to constrict airflow to the air intake, or funnel exhaust gasket leaks into the intakes...
    are these flappers supposed to protect from water entering the engine compartment, not protect from gasket leakage???
    anyone got a good pic of well fitted diapers??
    post or send me a pic
    [email protected]

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    i got a 2003 xpdi, of course its a 951, and wears a diaper
    i have never had a 951 before, and i am not sure how the diapers should be fitted.
    obviously theres a custom molded clamp type diaper that fits snug AROUND the gasket area. that one looks good.
    but theres those two rubber flapper type diapers on either side???
    does anyone know how they are supposed to fit?
    one flap sort of goes in front of the air intake, the other flaps UP onto the pipe???
    both seem loose, and almost seem to constrict airflow to the air intake, or funnel exhaust gasket leaks into the intakes...
    are these flappers supposed to protect from water entering the engine compartment, not protect from gasket leakage???
    anyone got a good pic of well fitted diapers??
    post or send me a pic
    [email protected]

Lex, what up fool!

The diaper can really only go on one way. When on the two ends form a round circle, it should be up top and you use a small zip tie to hold it...WHen installed, there will be one or two drainage hols on the gasket, this will allow draining of any water to fall between the carbs...

The flaps are installed to prevent any water intrusion into the intake. The two elbows coming up on either side of the exhaust manifold are the air intake runners...

here are some old pics from my GSXL...You can see the diaper in the one pic...

dang it, wrong button...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0932.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	793.4 KB 
ID:	32914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5027095.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	32915  
    Last edited by The Bandit; 07-27-2007 at 10:46 AM.

+1
    DANNY!!!
    I knew you would have pics like this!!! do you miss your little old ski??
    i just sold my SPX, and i'm still in mourning
    those flappers look like they dont do very much, any point to modding the airbox on this XPDI?

Banned User
    +1
    DANNY!!!
    I knew you would have pics like this!!! do you miss your little old ski??
    i just sold my SPX, and i'm still in mourning
    those flappers look like they dont do very much, any point to modding the airbox on this XPDI?

I miss it a little, just when a big cruise comes by and I KNOW I can pop a good one on it...Other than a hard carve, I have surrendered to the Acceleration Gods....My RXP rocks, just a little more tweeking and I'm good...

The flappers do server a purpose, otherwise they would not be there...I WOULD NOT modify that air intake at all, it would mess with the A/F ratio and through the DI off a hair....Its either the Level 1 which compensates for the mixture when Proks are added, or just leave it alone and maintain it and it will last forever....

+1
    do you think the LVL 1 with proks and outerwears is a better setup for water injestion, or worse than stock??
    sorta seems the stock airbox is designed in the worst way possible to draw in air and water... is there some fancy chambers or drains inside that airbox that make it better?? i havent had it aprt yet to check whats inside...

Banned User
    +1
    do you think the LVL 1 with proks and outerwears is a better setup for water injestion, or worse than stock??
    sorta seems the stock airbox is designed in the worst way possible to draw in air and water... is there some fancy chambers or drains inside that airbox that make it better?? i havent had it aprt yet to check whats inside...

the opposite...the design is to prevent water intrusion. Air intake on the top side, highes point...If you Level it and toss on Proks, you increase your chances of water intrusion by 1000%...More open. I would take it SOOO EASY on my ski the second I got water in it from a jump, just so I did not suck in water, because the carbs were so low...

And for the riding you do, in the area you do, I would honesty LEAVE IT ALONE...Just toss on a Concord or Nujet prop, wrap the seat in Mline, toss on some gators, a splash gaurd, finger throttle, and maybe my sponsons, and you have a reliable wave jumper....

Thread Information