Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Riva intake grate

A question for those who have purchased the Riva ride plate. How many of you are also going with the intake grate? Will it scrub off speed? I guess nobody knows untill they get some out there. Any guesses?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Every aftermarket intake grate that I have tried on any ski has scrubbed some top speed, It will help in hook up in rough water, but for smooth water it will take away from top speed.

+1
    I plan to continue to use the wedge in an effort to minimize any loss in top end. The additional hook up provided by the scoop grate will be needed as more horsepower is created by subsequent modifications and possibly a new prop.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Livin on the Edge View Post
    I plan to continue to use the wedge in an effort to minimize any loss in top end. The additional hook up provided by the scoop grate will be needed as more horsepower is created by subsequent modifications and possibly a new prop.
    Are you going with the Riva ride plate?
    I ride in a lake that is usually very choppy. Even though the grate may scrub off some speed, it should help me most of the time. I may try one and see but it will probably be X-mas before they realease them.

+1
    I am going to try just the ride plate when it comes in. A week later, I am going to put on the R & D intake that has been sitting in my room waiting for the ride plate. I've heard good things but you never know till you try it. Hopefully my ride plate is shipped soon, not september, and I get get some gps numbers for you guys.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by erckawasaki View Post
    I am going to try just the ride plate when it comes in. A week later, I am going to put on the R & D intake that has been sitting in my room waiting for the ride plate. I've heard good things but you never know till you try it. Hopefully my ride plate is shipped soon, not september, and I get get some gps numbers for you guys.
    Personally, I would not use that R&D grate for anyhing other than a paperweight on your desk. Read the thread about the R&D grates breaking on the Yamaha forum. Granted the Yammi GPR's are reaching speeds unheard of with the Ultras, but the extra pounding the Ultra grate will take in rough water might increase the risk of failure. Cast aluminum scoop grates are downright dangerous...that goes for the Riva too.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    Personally, I would not use that R&D grate for anyhing other than a paperweight on your desk. Read the thread about the R&D grates breaking on the Yamaha forum. Granted the Yammi GPR's are reaching speeds unheard of with the Ultras, but the extra pounding the Ultra grate will take in rough water might increase the risk of failure. Cast aluminum scoop grates are downright dangerous...that goes for the Riva too.

Richard
    Thanks for the insight Richard. What is the stock intake grate made out of? Is it not cast aluminum?

Curtis

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post

Richard

This is true to a certain extent. The majority of the grates that we see break are the 800 grates. I have seen 2 1200 grates broken, compared to countless 800 grates. The GPR's have to have them because the stock grate created and unexpected turn at any speed over stock, so everyone chooses to run the aftermarket grates, but we do know the hazards of doing this. If you do not have a problem with the ski "hooking" unexpectedly, I would stay with the stock grate.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagleman62 View Post
    Are you going with the Riva ride plate?
    I ride in a lake that is usually very choppy. Even though the grate may scrub off some speed, it should help me most of the time. I may try one and see but it will probably be X-mas before they release them.
    Oh yea. i forgot to mention that I'm hopefully getting a Riva ride plate when the first batch is released. I plan to run the ride plate, scoop grate, and the wedge. I too ride on a rough body of water and want to stay hooked up when I install the ride plate.

It will be interesting to see/feel/hear about the handling characteristics of using the rideplate, intake grate, AND the wedge all at the same time.

Curtis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information