High Speed or High Impact Protection

I hope that no one will never need it but I am just wondering with the speeds getting consistantly higher among the forum members is anyone starting to wear protective equipment when they are doing speed runs and so on? As much as I like going fast safety is a major concern esspecially as I am not getting any younger and I would prefere to spend my retirement not in a wheel chair or something worse. I have been thinking about getting a helmet and a neck brace and was just wonderng if there is a prefered brand of watercraft specific helmet I know there are several brands of neck braces which should work.
    Last edited by injected2stroke; 07-27-2007 at 08:35 AM.

+1
    I wear a neck brace I keep on my GPR at all times.
    I do know the FLY racing helmets are pretty light......I kinda worry about wearing a helmet.....I probably should during high speed testing runs in the winter....

good thread related to this topic
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ght=neck+brace

seach results
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/sear...earchid=412138

It might sound silly but I sometimes wear the riding gloves that I use on my ATV. They are very comfortable and breath well. I started doing it when I noticed that after being in the water for a while then jumping on the ski my hands would slip. The thought of a broken grate and a hard turn with me hanging on tight might hurt. I mostly only wear them when Im testing something that might be hazardous to my health or in superman position since it helps me stretch out and still grip well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by porksword View Post
    It might sound silly but I sometimes wear the riding gloves that I use on my ATV. They are very comfortable and breath well. I started doing it when I noticed that after being in the water for a while then jumping on the ski my hands would slip. The thought of a broken grate and a hard turn with me hanging on tight might hurt. I mostly only wear them when Im testing something that might be hazardous to my health or in superman position since it helps me stretch out and still grip well.
    +1

The key is...

Stay on the boat !!!

Quote Originally Posted by porksword View Post
    I've been wearing glove for many years.If you ride very aggressive at all they help with grip,not to mention the blisters I get when I dont wear them.Thier a must have for me

+1
    mudbug was the only time i have ever ridden without some form of wetsuit. just for the impact protection it provides , you know what i mean. lets call it a power flush. i always wear gloves and goggles. i cannot wear shades or smaller goggles. my contacts dry out too fast. and i always wear some form of slippery water shoe/boot

+1
    Hello, impressed! I just purchased a 2008 GP1300R, only has 27hours ... like new. Only current mods is, "D" plate installed & Cat removed. Also R&D ride plate installed. Where do I go from here ....I want to do it right. Looking for the best Top-End.

Any advise would be well thought of THANKS.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    Hello, impressed! I just purchased a 2008 GP1300R, only has 27hours ... like new. Only current mods is, "D" plate installed & Cat removed. Also R&D ride plate installed. Where do I go from here ....I want to do it right. Looking for the best Top-End.

Any advise would be well thought of THANKS.
    Might try posting this in the right section......2 Stroke Yamaha Section.......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by injected2stroke View Post
    I hope that no one will never need it but I am just wondering with the speeds getting consistantly higher among the forum members is anyone starting to wear protective equipment when they are doing speed runs and so on? As much as I like going fast safety is a major concern esspecially as I am not getting any younger and I would prefere to spend my retirement not in a wheel chair or something worse. I have been thinking about getting a helmet and a neck brace and was just wonderng if there is a prefered brand of watercraft specific helmet I know there are several brands of neck braces which should work.
    I wear all of my gear just about all the time even when not racing I am wearing a fox helmet, Oakley H2O goggles, evolution EVS neck brace, minimun of neoprene shorts but usually a wetsuit, shoes I use jet tribe (wrestling shoes, jet tribe, jet pilot all work but the wrestling shoes seem to be pretty popular), gloves, and a good side entry vest coast guard approved. Be sure that the vest you wear will right you face up with your head above water just in case you get knocked out.
    I kow it is a bit much but all it takes is the one time to come off. we are all running at least in the 70s. I much rather wear this than come off without it. Plus to everyone else out on the water they think you much have a super fast ski to nees safety gear.
    As far as the guys worried about wearing a helmet, take off the visor. The helmets float so that is an added safety factor that it will help your head stay above water in case of a high speed get off.

Quote Originally Posted by injected2stroke View Post
    check out the lifeline jacket here: http://www.pwcoffshore.com/Offshore_Gear_Review.html

Thread Information