Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

friend sucked up rocks on my 06-1300r, impeller bad, jet pump doesnt look good

Any suggestions? I know I can order a new 2" spacer however I am not sure if the rest of the pump is in need of replacement. A couple of the fins have some dings in them on the actual pump and the walls have some deep cuts in them as well.

-MJE-

+1
    Pictures please

+1
    I just snapped a ton of pictures of the 2" spacer that ive tried to sand away some of the bigger burrs on...the jet pump I am just waiting for my uncle who borrowed my pipe wrench to drop by so I can pull the impeller out...it'll be about an hour before I get the pictures and have the hosted somewhere.

-MJE-

+1
    I'm new to this linking of pictures...here goes nothing.

+1
    OUCH! You may be able to smooth everything out and send the prop to one of the gurus, but I don't think that pump will ever be the same. Just my opinion. Replace impeller, liner, steering nozzle-- inspect and smooth or replace output nozzle. Smooth extention and stator as long as there are no big chips in the stator. Put it back together and see if it cavitates. How did it run after the rocks went through?
    Last edited by Prism; 07-27-2007 at 06:34 PM.

+1
    well I hadn't run the ski at all the day rocks went through it...I was letting my girl's older brothers ride with us and they've never ridden. They made a face when I noticed they were in shallow water but they didn't say anything about it after the fact. I didn't find out till the next weekend when I went to run the machine and I felt the vibration/cavitation immediately. I haven't run it since changing back out to the stock impeller...maybe Sunday I'll get the chance to ride. Expanding on what you said about changing everything out...is there any particular jet drive out there thats going to be a step up from the stock Yamaha one? At this point in the season I'm not too concerned with the extremely small sacrifice that I am going to make with top speed due to a few scratches...I wish it could have been avoided but I guess its another lesson learned and a kick in the ass to remind me why I only ride with people that know what they are doing.

-MJE-

+1
    After looking at your pictures some more, I edited my opinion. As far as an improved pump, the only other pump would be a Skat Trak. Their pump offers alot more hook up in rough water, but will be slower on top. I've personally never used one, but alot of closed course racing guys swear by them. Their pump will be far more expensive than the replacment parts you need.

+1
    The impeller to liner fit is where there will be speed lost. Also any chips or roughness in the stator section will cause massive cavitation. I'd try what I posted before and take it from there. The 05-07 yamaha pump is the one you want for the best speed. What pitch were you running? I noticed you thought you were down RPM.

+1
    I had a stock dynafly "14/20" impeller. I even pulled the motor out to check for the keyway being installed incorrectly. I haven't tried to run it with the front box out yet for more air into the machine. In about 80 degree heat I get about 7190rpms now on average. Still seems awfully low to me but we'll see where my stock impeller is at now that I had to reinstall that for a bit.

I am going to re-pull the jet pump tomorrow and file lightly on the pump to eliminate burrs and I'll use a D/A on the rest of the metal surfaces.

-MJE-

+1
    update..

with stock impeller reinstalled I am turning 7390 rpms instead of the 7190 with the "14/20" dynafly. I keep getting an alarm that flashes the motor picture on the screen. I have to shut the ski off in order to run the codes and the only code I get is a code 19 which is "incorrect battery voltage"

What could the problem be? I thought there may have been water ingestion around the same time due to pulling the plugs and having a couple gallons pour out (i use a power plenum that is wide open)

I ran it across the bay a few times this afternoon wide open feeling the water out of the exhaust outlets which were approx 10 degrees hotter than a "hot" bath. I could hold my hand there without a problem all day long. The motor doesnt feel to be running poorly.

-MJE-

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information