Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SS wear ring

SS wear ring

I recently bought (from Jerry) the SS wear ring for my 04 RXP, however I have not installed it yet. Should I install it with the stock motor mounts or do i risk damaging my prop until I install an aftermarket motor mount? I know some have installed just the SS wear ring with stock motor mounts without any issues.
    I was going to install it with the stock mounts however murphy's law often applies to me so I am a little hesitant. What are you guys doing?

+1
    Most advise to use the motor mount if you are going with the stainless steel wear ring. The Rotax Racing and the Piranha appear to be alot stronger than the standard OEM models.

I just recently put the solid front mount in, after running the SS ring and Solas prop for about five hours with the OEM mount. The ring is fine, but I can feel the prop edges have been rubbed down a little bit, so that the clearance isn't as tight as it used to be. The jury is still out on whether the front mount will prevent any more of this; at some point, I really need to get a new prop to see how it fares.

I am concerned with the prop rubbing so I guess I'll wait until I buy a solid front mount.

+1
    I ran the SS wear ring with stock motor mounts for a long time with no issues. I wouldn't be too concerned with it.

Website may not be suitable for small children WOT's Avatar
    Guys, the prop is mounted in the pump and is somewhat independent of the motor. The shaft is splined into the prop, but it can't exert much side load on the prop by way of the motor mounts moving. Now, it can side load the prop through torque and couple-moment and cause the the prop to be flexed on its bearings, but that is not due to the motor mounts flexing. It is due to the amount of power being put through the system.

The motor mounts flexing can move fore and aft and cause pressure axially to the prop and cause some issues, but that shouldn't have much affect on the wear ring to prop clearance.

Others on the forum correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the main reason for going to solid motor mouns to keep the motor from moving fore and aft so as to keep the shaft from unduly putting force on the crankshaft, etc? I know it can have some affect on the prop side clearance, but it would be very minimal, correct?
    Last edited by WOT; 07-28-2007 at 10:37 PM.

IF jerry has run this set up with no front solid motor mount with a modified rxp and said you should not worry too much then i think we are safe. north49 install it, and later on if you want to bulletproof it even more add the front solid mount.

thanks guys. Install it I will....

+1
    I am getting one soon and I am going to give the stock mounts a chance and see what happens.

Biotch better have my money rain or shine LiquidDI's Avatar
    I've put over 30 hours on my SS with the stock mounts without a problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information