Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

break in results not good at all

Well rebuilt the topend on 2001 GP1200R. I took it out today to break it in get about half way through and am sitting floating around in the water waiting for the motor to cool down and check under my seat and notice like 8 to 12 inches of water in there at least that much actually. Now I go to start it to go back to the dock and it starts after cranking for along time and then runs really rough and dies off. I keep try to crank it over to get back and then it seems like it is locked up. So I get a tow in after sitting wating for like an hour floating around slowly sinking. I hooked it to the charger thinking my battery might be dead but when I hit the start button it just makes aloud buzzing noise. I take all three plugs out and see that there is water filled up to the top of every cylinder. What should I do now????? and how the heck did the water get in the motor???? also where the heck did the water get in the ski in the first place? I did have the pump off shoe plate and grate. I put gasket sealer on the pump and 3m 4200 on the shoe put didnt put anything on the plate or grate. should I have??? I am def. not happy with this ski right now. please help me out

+1
    You need to spin the motor over without the plugs in it to get as much water out of the engine as possible.

You need to find your leak. Double check EVERYTHING that you touched when you were working on it. Maybe it is the hose that is between the exh manifold and the pipe. (this is a small hose that is easy to forget about).

The water got in the engine through the carbs when there was so much water in the hull.

As soon as you find the leak, and get the water out of the engine, make sure it will start on the trailer.

Then you need to get on the water ASAP and run the engine to evaporate any water left in the engine. If it sits just 1 day, the damage is not reversable.
    Last edited by jeffsntx; 07-28-2007 at 02:56 PM.

can I run it on the hose?????? I am not sure where the leak is at all There is still like 1 inch around the bottom of motor and I cant see it leaking anywhere. I have the plugs out now and am cranking it over on and off I have been doing for about 5 minutes now not sure how long to keep goin there is still water comeing out

+1
    You need to keep spinning it over until there is no water coming out or it will never start.

If there is no water coming out of the hull, it is more than likely something that you forgot, hose, clamp, etc.

You really need to put it on the water and run it to get it hot enough to evaporate the water. If you cant find the leak, running it on the hose is better than nothing.

Did you run it for a while on the trailer, in the water with the seat off to check for leaks???

no where I put in at its like a circus there is constant line of cars waiting on you to drop in and go. Ok I will check for hoses etc.

+1
    It is possible that a hose clamp came off and while you were riding, you were filling up your engine compartment with water.
    This happened to me @ mudbugs. I only caught it because I installed a bilge pump with switch and I am in the habit of hitting my switch every now and then. Riding along, hit the switch, and water started pouring from my bilge outlet. Pulled the seat and say a hose clamp came off the stinger.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    It is possible that a hose clamp came off and while you were riding, you were filling up your engine compartment with water.
    This happened to me @ mudbugs. I only caught it because I installed a bilge pump with switch and I am in the habit of hitting my switch every now and then. Riding along, hit the switch, and water started pouring from my bilge outlet. Pulled the seat and say a hose clamp came off the stinger.

Kirk, the exact same thing happened to me in Morgan City, except it was one of the clamps that on the hose that goes from the head to the pipe. and my bilge pump is what let me know I was taking on water.

+1
    I tell you, it looks corny, but I put my bilge hole on the side of my ski right where the water will hit my leg. I wanna know if I have a problem.
    This is a priceless mod.

If I go get a bilge pump tonight how do I hook it up. Would I use the hose from the strainer?? I did find a loose hose clamp but no way to be sure that was what it was. I wanna try and pick one up tonight before they close. I guess I am gonna keep cranking on it till no more water comes out try and get it started on the trailer and prolly have to head out tomorrow early morning to use the ramps its 5 now so hope fully that will be ok.

+1
    Get a light and take it to the ramp tonight when it isnt so busy. That way you can let it run on the ramp and look for leaks.

If you cant get to the ramp tonight at least run it for a while on the hose.

Then take it out in the morning and run the piss out of it.

Dont worry about the electric bilge pump right now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information