07 challenger 180se - Major Cavatation

1 hour on it. 4 trips. Must have sucked something in the impeller. Won't accelerate at all. Anytime I give it throttle, it shakes the boat and goes nowhere.

I was able to coast back to the dock at 4 mph. If I tried going faster, major vibration and awful noise.

Dealer and I both believe (without opening it up) that it is the wear ring.

I have found some good threads on changing out the wear ring.

QUESTION: Is there any advantage to a SS wear ring over OEM as far as longevity is concerned? I can't believe I have to already tear the pump out of this thing after 1 hour. I don't want to have to do this every 4 trips on the boat.

Also, given that the damn thing idles great but just won't move out of the hole when I give it throttle, is the culprit only the wear ring? Or, could there be far more sinister problems awaiting me when I pull the pump off and peek inside?

Another QUESTION: Dealer claims that if I put in the SS washers in the SC I will void the 4 year warranty I bought. WTF? Anyone have any knowledge on this little bit of hilarity?

Gotta love it.

Happened to me when I was in dirty river water and sucked in a little twig.
    10 minutes on my back under the boat with a coat hanger and I poped it out. Good as new so far.

Prolly put in an SS ring next season for good measure.

-D

In my experiences, if it shakes there is something in the pump or you have really dinged up the leading edge of the impeller. Check the intake and the exhaust areas of the pump carefully. A really worn wear ring feels like reving a car in neutral but smooth.

Here is come pics in another thread for reference.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33540

I just called Riva and ordered a Solas 13/18 and the SS wear ring.

We'll see how it performs with the new parts. I hope that fixes the cavatation. I just almost can't believe that the boat would be that bad with that damage. But, this is my first jet boat and I have no point of reference. I trust the opinions here. I showed Riva that thread and they said that damage will probably cause major cavatation.

It is so frustrating, though, how very little information I can find about people modding the Challenger 180 215ic.

Hard to make purchase decisions based on intel gathered on PWCs. Same motors...totally different animals.

Thanks for your help guys. Everyone here is very helpful.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by clpsuite View Post
    Here is come pics in another thread for reference.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33540

I just called Riva and ordered a Solas 13/18 and the SS wear ring.

We'll see how it performs with the new parts. I hope that fixes the cavatation. I just almost can't believe that the boat would be that bad with that damage. But, this is my first jet boat and I have no point of reference. I trust the opinions here. I showed Riva that thread and they said that damage will probably cause major cavatation.

It is so frustrating, though, how very little information I can find about people modding the Challenger 180 215ic.

Hard to make purchase decisions based on intel gathered on PWCs. Same motors...totally different animals.

Thanks for your help guys. Everyone here is very helpful.

just wanted to bring this back to the forefront. I have an '08 c180 and am VERY curious how this mod is working out for you? was the impeller and SS ring the only change?
    low end improvement?
    top end improvement?
    durability of SS ring against objects in water?

... currently having issues in a new lake that seems to have a bit of debris...
    any updates or opinions on these mods would be greatly appreciated!!

Thread Information