Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1

Red Paint Performance Problems?

I asked the following question earlier in a now locked thread.

For those that have issues with their paint, Is the issue really obvious and i'd already know if i had a problem?

Is it more sensitive in the heat, or is it say "soft" all the time?

I myself have a red one and don't seem to have a problem, but of course i am VERY gentle as all paint will scratch depending on the intruding object.

I'd like to hear some examples of how it has been determined the paint is so sensitive.

+1
    ES,
    When I first got the ski, I was removing the rear warning sticker. I was picking at it with my finger nail, and the paint scratched. I was shocked. I've never scratched a ski in my life with my fingernail...and this includes hanging on for dear life. I also had used some goo gone, in a small area where there was some residual glue, and the rag came back red. I was shocked. I also attempted to wax the ski later. The black paint did not fade or get on the rag. Neither did the top red storage compartment. Only did the rag bleed on the red top deck. I called the dealer and we agreed to let it sit in the sun for a while and see what happens. I took it in this last week, and there is still a tad bit of bleeding, but not as bad as before. The issue was sent to Kawi for review. I have no idea how they will handle it at this time. About 3 month timeline sounds about right?

It was dirty when I took it in. I'll hand wash it when I get it home, and use the micropolish cloths and some polish, and see what comes off. It may stop bleeding after this round. Only time will tell.

NOTE: If name calling starts in this thread, I'll just delete the post, warn the poster, and let the mods know to watch, to keep this thread clean.

i hope they don't do away with the red color for the 2008 models because of these problems. I want a red ski to match my 2000 ultra.

+1
    Welcome USC fan. Generally Kawi alternates colors, so it might be gone next year, but maybe back the next. I'd say you are safe.

SeaDoocer
    Mine comes off by just wiping it with a micro rag. But I have noticed that if wiped enough it has a tendency to eventually wipe clean. I was told that it is the styrene in the paint working itself to the surface but eventually would "probably" diminish over time but can't be gauranteed that it will not oxidize early.
    I, like Mark, have had no problems with the uppper hood area. I know the mirrors are painted and I have had some premature paint rubbing off there but I am not sure if the upper hood compartment is painted or a color molded injection. Anyone know?

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Got it. Very interesting.

I took my stickers off too and used both goo gone and 3M general purpose adhesive cleaner (which is essentially a blend of naptha with other solvents). Also utilized light use of my wife's hair dryer.

The rear sticker was definately stuck on the best, next was the left rear, and the easiest was the glovebox. Plenty of fingernail action going on with plenty of pulling away at a 45 degree angle.

I had MINIMAL light pink on the rag as expected using the solvent.

I also waxed mine about a month after i took it home. For the first 3 weeks it did not see water and sat under a tarp on it's crate mostly in 50 - 60 degree weather while we designed/built the trailers.

I suspect i don't have a paint problem. But man.....after spending basically $12k, that's not cool.

Like Hydrotoys indicates, if i read properly, it seems that over time the situation is improving on the defective ones? Is anyone else seeing this?

This sounds like classic lack of paint cure....maybe a bad mix of hardner or human error?.... Anyway, totally unacceptable. I hope Kawi stands behind you folks without too much hassle. This is also a great place to come together and take situations head on as a group if there is commonality.

This paint thing has been around much longer than since Doocer bought his skis.

Has anyone taken this up with Kawi BEFORE Doocer? What were your results? I know there's alot of folks out there that are reading and not posting...chime in guys.

Let's use this place to help each other out.

Paint problems
    I have been in the crash repair industry for over 20 yrs this is my simple take on paint problems.
    Red painted in a solid colour (no clear) will pilish of onto a rag because it has red pigment in it. Clear will also polish of onto a rag but its clear you cant see it. When painting clear over base colours ie red base with clear on it the base is a differant product to a red witch has hardner in it.THE BASE COAT WILL RUB OFF WITH THINNERS AND HAS NO UV HOLD OUT that is why we put clear on it.(Base coat has no gloss at all)Soilid reds have a hardner and dry shiny.The paint problems on the forum vary, if paint is polishing off onto your rag its no big deal if its soft and pealing you have a problem. I personally think my ski is no differant to any car we repair in a solid red colour and will leave it alone,just keep it waxed to protect it from the weather.if its pealing it needs to be fixed but bare in mind the more paint and clear you add the more likely it is to chip.

rob

+1
    Rob,
    did your ski rub off red when you polished it?

yes dude it sure did still does and i,ve polished it heaps of times its perfectly normal for solid colours to do this, it will eventually all rub off but i,ve seen cars 20 yrs old that havnt.the paint they use doesnt seem to be anything other than normal two pack baked enamal which is still good technology and used today.just keep it waxed and i,m sure it will be fine
    rob

+1
    Thanks Rob.

Bear in mind I have other red skis, with no clear coat that do not bleed. That is why you see so many concerned folks on here. This isn't normal.

Good info.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information