slt 750 bad cylinder

This is my first attempt at using forums for help so please be patient. I just picked up a 95 slt 750 for a song not knowing what was wrong with it. The bike was being ridden one day and was running great. While it was tied up in the water, a storm blew in, the tide fell out and the ski was left sitting in mud and sand. After waiting several hours for the water to return, the previous owner walked the trailer to the ski, loaded up and walked it up to the house where it was flushed and run. It has not run right since that day.Turns out the rear piston is gone (melted) and the cylinder is grooved beyond honing. I believe a slug of mud got into the cooling jacket of the cylinder and stopped it up but still allowed water to flow to the other two. My thought is to sleeve the cylinder install a new piston/rings and go for a ride but I'm not certain if the melt down was from lack of water or oil. Is there a way of knowing this from the piston condition. I just don't want my new parts looking like the old with a short amount of riding. This will be my first time working on a PWC so I know I'll be back.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.
    How bad is the cylinder? Can it be bored? What is the compression of the other two? We love pics,

I've not actually removed the cylinder yet to check the depth of the grooves but just guessing, it could probably be bored. I was just trying to be frugal and not remove the other two. How far can I oversize one without doing the other two? My camera is in the little womans purse school shopping so I can't get any pics now but I will post as soo as I can. As for compression, I've only done a thumb check so I don't have any numbers. Thanks for such a speedy response. Oh, I'll also be needing to replace the broken steering cable if anybody has a good one that will fit.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1

Angry Well,I've learned a lesson

Sorry,posted on wrong place
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blazin Inferno and Sixgun 001.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	33114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blazin Inferno and Sixgun 002.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	807.4 KB 
ID:	33115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blazin Inferno and Sixgun 007.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	33116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blazin Inferno and Sixgun 008.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	849.4 KB 
ID:	33117  
    Last edited by Keddano; 07-29-2007 at 07:09 PM.

Pics of my bad cylinder

I just got my hands on a compression gauge but will be checking soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0987.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	33245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0991.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	33246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0992.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	33247  

+1
    Looks like we're dealing with the same sorta demons,except mine was the front.

+1
    As for cause,I'll leave that for guys that have seen more.But I doubt it was jut mud.That one looks worst then mine. For the cost of having it bored you an pick up a good used STD. one and borrow a hone from autozone and clean it up. Then buy a new piston and ring set. Or E-Bay has a few coming up that are cyl,jug and piston.Then a new ring set is about $27.00. The case should be cleaned and leaked tested. I sent you a PM. Dan

I got a 95 Slt 750 (DOA)which I completely did a new topend and a few mods suggested by this forum before I ever put it into the water! This too is my first time with a jetski and I play in the Pacific ocean! So, I made sure this ski was dependable! The forum is a great help and very knowledgeable. Depending on how deep your pockets are, I would suggest tearing the motor down to see how much damage the mud did and go with a whole new topend. You'll have a peace of mind and save time rather than boring and honing the old stuff!! You'll probably need to overhaul your jetpump too. Check the past threads relating to your model while your at it, you'll be surprise!!

Thread Information