Finally fixed the Pro!!

Unbelievable. I ended up pulling the carbs out like suggested and cleaned them up. I did not buy the rebuild kits, the significant other cut me off from spending any more money on the skis. Shoulda never filled them up with gas while she was with me. Only run premiun on both. She said I will never drop a 120 at the gas station again. Filled the truck up to.

Anyway, while out today trying to see if anything was fixed after the carbs and I put in a new elctrical board. While putting in the electrical board I decided the HOT light was due to a short. I had already put a new thermostat in but there is a short in the wire somewhere. While trying to trouble shoot I pulled the two tan wires and grey limiter wire off the board to make it stop flashin hot. One tan goes to thermo, other to MFD. BAM!!!! Runs great. It was the limiter that was fricking me up. The short was tripping the HOT and limiting RPM's. Since it is shorted in the wire somewhere, it wouldn't always flash hot but would still trip the limiter. I rode for a few hours beating the crap outta myself in the chop and not one problem at all.

I started to read up on the thermo and learned many people just disconnect them anyway. As long as I got water out the pissers, I'm getting cooled off right? So is it alright just to leave them all disconnected in the box? Can I just cut the wire off the thermo and just leave it screwed in to plug the hole? From the wiring, the grey wire to the CDI is the limiter and it is only tripped from the thermo. So am I alright just to take out the tan wires and leave the grey plugged into the board?

+1
    No, I've had overheat problems with plenty of water pissing out from the pipes!

If you lose a headgasket or anything like that, it will overheat and if you don't have the temp sensor or the grey limp mode wire connected, it will run till you stick the piston.

Just so ya know.

+1
    Dude, it's not fixed, just patched.
    Repair the electrical for sure!!

Alright alright. But did you know, according to some of the posts, not all years of pros even had a temp sensor. And what about aftermarket heads that have no where for the sensor, at least they don't look like it when I was looking at some on ebay.

The wire must be bad inside the rubber sheath since it looked fine. I pulled the whole wire out...from mfd to box to thermo. I hope the short isn't where it connects to the mfd, that would suck to try and get that little plug apart. Anyway, does it matter what type of wire I replace it with? Does anyone know the gauge? Or just something of the same apparent size? I hate electrical boxes

+1
    If you are going to pull the thermostat or install the head you do risk NO temp monitoring.
    The difference is most guys that perform mods will run through a check list before daily rides etc.
    As long as you take the extra time for maintenance I personally see nothing wrong with disconnecting the temp sensor with the understanding you have no monitor.
    Don't leave the rev limiter (grey wire) disconnected, that's your last line line of protection and my reference to the "patch".

+1
    Yeah, what Al says.. Basically, just make sure everything is ok on the ski before going without the sensor or whatever.

I had a overheat issue right before I installed a ADA head (which has no temp sensor), but on the other hand, I KNOW for sure what caused my overheat.

Eliminate everything else before taking a shortcut! Shortcuts have cost me pistons, cylinders etc.. in the past! Can be an expensive way to learn.

I know it was a short and not an issue. It would say HOT before I even started the ski up for the first time. It would often come on instantly after starting and randomly through the day.

ph2, I do have the grey wire connected. This is my question though...where the grey wire connects on the board, it is only linked to the temp sensor. If that is gone what else would the grey wire be neeed for? I do not have any intent of removing it, just in case I put the sensor on again some day.

Thread Information