1997 xp question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey do you guys think either of these symptons could of caused my engine to seize and or cause the drive train to lock solid..Piston Rattle, or having a damaged wear ring???

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Neither one. A piston siezes from many possibilities...talking stock...most are from water or lean fuel mixture. Sometimes a oil pump failure or line breakage. Pistons don't seize when they rattle...the come apart and break at the skirt, then trash your engine. Wear rings cause excessive cavitation.

What locked up your driveline? If the pump bearings were failing this would cause excessive load on the engine and sieze it.

The drivetrain is complete;ly locked in place..I had a friend look at it and suggested that it was the rotary valve...cuz there was an oil line that ran to it, and some how the line came off, n thats why it locked...What might my options be?..cheapest as well

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffa17 View Post
    The drivetrain is complete;ly locked in place..I had a friend look at it and suggested that it was the rotary valve...cuz there was an oil line that ran to it, and some how the line came off, n thats why it locked...What might my options be?..cheapest as well
    Cheapest isn't going to be the best...you have to decide for yourself what you want to do. If it were mine...

I would suggest getting a qualified 800 mechanic to pull the RV shaft and inspect for a damaged crank gear. It should not be...that's why the RV shaft is brass...so in the event this happens the brass one (on the RV shaft) will fail. Then get him to remove the siezed cylinder and take it to a machinist for micing. If there is minimal damage, then a simple hone may get you back running with one new stock piston. Otherwise, it will need boring (both cylinders) and you will have to buy two 82.14 mm once-over pistons.

1- Replace the RV bearings and gear.
    2- Determine if you need 1 or 2 new pistons.
    3- Pay the man well for his work...

Jug Inspector
    Based on your past posts of "runs ok 5 mins then dies" I would go with lean seize over and over, until it finally gave up.

Im bringin it to a certified seadoo dealer on saturday, so they can tell me exactly whats wrong, and if its fixable n at what cost..n then i might sell it this winter in working condition, and look for a new ski...any advice for a decent priced newer ski????

Jug Inspector
    EVERYTHING is fixable... it's just a matter of time and money. Usually the money part.

Thread Information