06 RXP Stage 1'd RPM & Power issues

Hello,

I recently got a stage 1 kit for my RXP (thanks jerry!). So after lots of work to finally get it all setup, I take it out for a ride today. Max RPMs I get is about 7000 (with trim up)! If i bring it down to a bit below level, RPMs increase to around 73-7400 (like it was prior to stage 1 kit). It seems that I've been slowly but consistently losing some RPMs.

What should I check out? I've put a new wear ring with the new impeller, but when I started it out of the water, the wear ring got eaten up a bit by the impeller... I can't imagine that's normal (like the impeller expanding because of the rotations...)? It was a very tight fit to get the impeller in there, but it wasn't forced.

Also feels like I've lost a lot of power, even from standstill to pinned, the RPM never gets past ~7300.

And in case this has something to do with it, I took the OPAS off but didn't put any plugs in the holes for this test run (I will, don't worry).

I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks!

Marc

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    mab546,

Not to ignore the first part of your post... but could you describe exactly which holes you did not plug when you removed the OPAS.

Jeff

Hi 05Limited,

The holes not plugged would be the ones that connect the OPAS flappers (sorry, don't know the exact terminology on these things) to the pump area. Basically, the main big hole with the shaft on both sides. I did put the screws back in but they're not holding anything except their own weight.

Thanks!

Marc

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Hi Marc... welcome to the forum.

I understand now. You must have left the two long rubber tubes (from the OPAS paddle area to the pump tunnel) in place. At first it sounded like you left these holes wide open which would have filled your hull rather quickly. In any case, those tubes are not really secure so be careful.

Is the new impeller an exact OEM replacement, or is it aftermarket? It sounds like you have a bit to much pitch. What altitude do you ride at?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

That would be right. You can understand my gibberish, awesome! I thought they weren't too secure like that, but since it was just for a test run I wasn't overly worried about it.

The impeller is the Solace (14/19 i believe) from the Stage 1 kit from the 4-techperformance site. The elevation is around 1,048 metres (3,438 feet). That's Calgary's elevation, but I go to Ghost Lake which is about 1/2 hour drive away. Probably a bit higher up than Calgary... I don't have a GPS... yet.

She seemed to be getting full revs up til ~40 hours (give or take 5). That's where it slowly started going downhill. I'm at 71 hours now.

Marc

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mab546 View Post
    Hello,

I take it out for a ride today. Max RPMs I get is about 7000 (with trim up)! If i bring it down to a bit below level, RPMs increase to around 73-7400 (like it was prior to stage 1 kit).
    So the max RPM's you got before the stage 1 kit was 73-7400? That's not too out of line considering your extreme elevation. What i would do is depitch the trailing edge of the 14/19R 2 mm to help get your RPM's up.

Also, it may be time to shim the supercharger cluth. Are you running metal washers? If not you need to be

On the trim, you will notice at full trim that the RPM's drop some as you are over trimmed. You will find that the best spot is usually two clicks above neutral.

Hey Green Hulk,

Well the max RPMs I was getting was closer to 7800, prior to getting a rock stuck in my impeller, and then having that chew the wear ring pretty good. One of the reasons I finally got the stage 1 kit actually. That brought it down to 73-7400. I think I'll try a other things before getting the impeller repitched, if I can get it up without doing that first, then I might do it as a last thing to get the final max RPMs out of her.

I haven't really touched anything other than adding the Stage 1 kit items. So I'm still running the stock washers. Looks like I'm going to be getting some of those really quick then. I hope its something that I can do myself.

Thanks for all the help so far. Is there anything else that I should check?

Thanks,

Marc

Thread Information