2000XPL Engine Problem

Just purchased an XPL 2000 models with some stock mods...New high compression pistons, prox filters, Dynafly Prop ,worksgrate etc not sure jetings have been done.... my problem is when under load it has a trickling sound...most of the guys reckon sounds like "detonation" I have richen the highs.. before it was only half open now its 1 half open...not much sound but slightly... running on 98 octane at the moment... any suggestions? where to start????
    Last edited by jetboy; 07-30-2007 at 04:39 AM.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Pistons don't make high compression, the head does. Check compression with a good quality gauge, then check squish on both sides of the piston.

Go buy some 110 race gas and drain what's in your tank...pour it in straight and see if the pinging stops. This will confirm you are detonating.

Or...just sell it to me...I need your hull...

thanks for the response.. not mechanically minded...
    Question
    1) what is std PSI for XPL?
    2) Pinging what does it sounds like???? the ski i bought was an ex stock race ski but only can get 98octane where I am..all my mates mod ski run on 98 with cofmans... should it ping when reving the ski out of the water???..only what i hear is trickling for 1-2 secs sound when comming out of a turn or when im on three quater speed.... can it be something else like carbs sucking more air or computer.....
    3)excessive smoke- does that mean running to rich
    4) what is Squish????

From Reading the Forum 1)My Options are to pull the carbs apart and give them a good clean...pls recommend some carb settings..keeping in mind i am interested in using it for stock racing..
    2) Check the timing
    Last edited by jetboy; 08-01-2007 at 12:18 AM.

what color is the smoke? and wouldnt it be the pistons that raise the compression unless the head has been decked? pinging/detonation sounds like metal on metal..

+1
    Like 96XPSS said check your compression with a good quality gauge. Check your squish (do a search for squish on this forum and PWCToday - lot's of good information).

Excessive black smoke usually means that you are running too rich but some other things can cause it as well.

Also what pipe are you running, what size impeller, what size exit nozzle, and what is your wide open RPM? You could be loading the motor up too much with a large prop, small exit nozzle or both which will cause detonation.

Putting straight 110 octane race gas in it to see if the sound goes away is the quickest way to see if it's detonation. If it is you will need to provide much more information in order for somebody to help figure out why it's detonating.

Dan (drb)

Thanks Dan,

Cleaned up the carbs and looks like pretty big jets... took it to the water and still trickling slightly on load..

Checked the timing today and was advanced 3 degrees moved it back to 1 degree... any taughts on timing causing pinging???.

my last alternative is to use higher octane fuel.. We can only get 98 at the pump..can i add the spitfire octane booster to increase the octane..on the bottle say it will provide another 2-3 units Octane..

Wish me luck

HT

+1
    I wouldn't recommend using any octane booster.

Having your timing to far advanced and/or to much compression for the octane level that you are running can cause detonation/pinging.

Dan (drb)

Dan,

at about pass-7000 revs it starts to have the tick tick tick sound... can this sound be the rev limiter sound?????

HT

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
    Dan,

at about pass-7000 revs it starts to have the tick tick tick sound... can this sound be the rev limiter sound?????

HT
    Sounds like detonation to me. Richen it up a 1/2 turn on the highs and see if it stops.

have richen it half turn before and still there.... I have looked at the pistons they look OK..check spark plugs looks good... does that say anything maybe the noise is something else??????

.. some has suggested putting higher octane...Only thing is fuel only get 98 where I am ...

The only last thing I have is the exhaust.... There is a stinger at the bottom which has been tapped with a hose and closed off... maybe some restriction there???

what about fuel lines...repalce or not????? I heard for the 2001 XPl lines were OK....

Any more help will be greatful....

Thread Information