Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Starter drops out after about 5 seconds

Was wonder where to start looking-had the ski out over the weekend and starter is fine for 5 seconds then drops out/no noise thereafter then if you release starter button and push it again the same thing happens spins over 5 seconds and drops out-fires up after second or third try but have a clitch somewhere- also I noticed this time when I plugged in battery tender when we got home it went to green light and it has always went to red showing me it was taking a charge, thought that was kinda odd along with starter dropping out..any suggestions would be great.

+1
    Do you have an Advent ignition?

Oh geeez I'm not sure if it is an advent-it's a 99 Yami/SUV-I'm at the apartment and ski is in garage at home.

+1
    Then its most likely stock CDI. Usually the relay stays engaged once its turned on. Most likley a starter motor issue IMO. Does the dash cluster stay on for a second after the starter quites working?

I will check/look at that first thing.

sounds like your battery has lost a cell, if the starter can not get full power it will drop out after a few seconds try changing battery or use jumper leads to a good battery or could be loose or dirty batt leads

Leads are all fine-I lifted battery up in a hurry and know 3 of the cells had water-I guess I need to put a volt meter to it and see what kind of drop in voltage I have with starter engaged-thanks

+1
    Does the dash stay on for a few seconds after the starter drops out?

Proplem is Duke I have an apartment an hour away from home during the work week where I am at now-ski is in garage at home - I never thought to watch cluster when starter dropped out but will saturday morn when I get back home-the cluster staying on/going off is a indication of what?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mea43 View Post
    Proplem is Duke I have an apartment an hour away from home during the work week where I am at now-ski is in garage at home - I never thought to watch cluster when starter dropped out but will saturday morn when I get back home-the cluster staying on/going off is a indication of what?
    Bad connection or shorted battery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information