Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Srping Washer Service Limit>>>

the supercharger spring washers are at 9.72mm after only 20 hours of hard recreational riding on the last 2 boats i have worked on (1) 2006 with stage III kit @ 20 hours spring washers gone (@ service limit), (1) 2007 with stock everything until supercharger rebuild @ 20 hours sping washers gone (@ service limit). both boats were at the service limit already on the spring washers. the 2006 with the stage III runs to 8340 then it wil intermittently drop to 8140-8220 etc flashing back and forth with boat at WOT on smooth water. also boat was a solid 76.5 GPS and now seems to struggle somewhat to top 75.0 GPS. took out the supercharger and slip feels softer than the 44-88 ft. lb. in. spec says it should be. assuming its the spring washers since they are @ 9.72 mm and service limit is 9.70mm. questions:

1) do the spring washers only have a 20 hour life cycle?
    2) should you shim or replace spring washers for best/longest life cycle?
    3) i seen NEW replacement spring washers but NO shims in the online store?
    4) is it the spring washers that need shimmed to get slip to correct specs? (metal washers and ceramic bearings all have 20 hours as well)

thanks for any advice concerning this issue.

+1
    There really isn't a set service life for the spring washers. It just all depends on how the ski is ridden. Usually installing a fresh set cures a low slip moment. Shimming them will also cure the problem, but the shims are hard to find. Mark Underwood may have some as well as Armin at PPG.

Spring washer stack looks like this
    )()()

Spring washer stack with a shim looks like this
    )()shim()

+1
    thanks Jerry i will phone Armin tomorrow when PPG is open and see if he has any. you dont have any i could BUY do u? i would want a set of NEW spring washers and a couple shims as well. let me know and thanks for the illustration on where the shim gose in at. MUCH APPRECIATED and THANKS!

from what i have read i think you can do either one replace spring washers or shim dont need to do both sucks though after 20 hours spring wasers gone

+1
    A funny thing about the spring washers. SHHR was rebuilding a s/c about 2 weeks ago and when we took it apart the spring washers were right at there service limit. So we stopped and he IM'ed Jerry to include some spring washers with a couple props Jerry was sending him that day anyway.(I am sure you remember this Jerry)SHHR got in a hurry and went and bought some at the local Doo dealer on his way home anyway. When he came back over to a couple days later to complete the install we checked the washers Jerry sent and the ones the local dealer had since they were manufactured 2 year apart stamped on the bags. Jerrys were made something like a month ago and the local dealers were 2 years old. There was a big difference in the two. The new ones were .383 and the ones made a couple years ago were .412. .029 difference and both sets were brand new! This might even be why there are soo many more 07's failing with the ceramic?

+1
    very interesting!

Hey guy's on an average (I know there is no set number) but how many shims do you install? I also now it would depend on how bad your washers are but I have two super chargers on the boat and I have two shims... I didn't know if one will usually do it???

+1
    i just ordered a bunch of shims from PPG, they have them in stock

and they also told me their techs use 2 shims per rebuild.

I have run 3 shims; even 4 once in a pinch. Chances are your sprocket (jaws) or other washers are below spec in width or resistance.

+1
    the clutch is fine, just ordered to have them just in case

think i am looking for a boost leak, almost ready to order riva aluminum ic plumbing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information