Thread: Best piston

Best piston

I was wondering if there were any advantages / disadvantages to running JE, wiseco, OEM, or any other type of piston that is available. Which one is the best for the money?

+1
    Spend the money and get OEM pistons.

I see there are "platinum" coated pistons, which is apparently molybdenum (spelling?) coating. Are those any good?

www.springbreak-florida.com rgard32's Avatar
    i run wiseco.. 140 hrs ...did a rebuild and reused the pistons just new rings....works perfect...pistons still look perfect..

+1
    I've always just run OEM pistons in rec riding engines. In my opinion they can't be beat.

Any piston will make will work for as long as the cylinder it's going into has been prepped correctly. Their is some downfall's to some pistons, but as long as you run the engine the way it shold be you decrease your chance of problems.

Take Wisecos for example......I've seen tons of guys stick wisecos from cold seizures. The wisecos take more heat quicker and expand faster than most OEM pistons........and especially expand quicker than the cylinder wall. That is one downfall, and one that proper engine warm-up will eliminate. The heat expansion of forged pistons is the whole reason guys first started cryo-treating and coating pistons with ceramics etc... they tried to deter as much heat from the piston as possible. That's not all of the reasoning behind piston coatings, but a major one.

That all being said, their is several piston makers out there that will serve your needs just fine and like I say, no matter what piston you use, as long as the cylinder is set-up correctly and you run your engine the way it should be, you'll have no problems.

+1
    Can't beat the OEM (Elko) pistons in my opinion. The material, design and quality is much better than aftermarket stuff...it's one of the things Polaris did right!

I'm looking at the WSM pistons since its only $169 for two "platinum" coated pistons, wrist pins clips pin bearings rings and all gaskets.. I'm just a rec rider and I break in my stuff relatively mild (unless its a 4-stroke). But with the new pistons it doesnt matter much since they don't expand as fast as the older neerly pure aluminum ones. Correct me if I'm wrong..

Don't worry, I'm looking at OEM too. I just havent tried any piston with a coating. Still looking for a set of OEM too so far I can only find individual ones.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlineR6 View Post
    I've always just run OEM pistons in rec riding engines. In my opinion they can't be beat.

Any piston will make will work for as long as the cylinder it's going into has been prepped correctly. Their is some downfall's to some pistons, but as long as you run the engine the way it shold be you decrease your chance of problems.

Take Wisecos for example......I've seen tons of guys stick wisecos from cold seizures. The wisecos take more heat quicker and expand faster than most OEM pistons........and especially expand quicker than the cylinder wall. That is one downfall, and one that proper engine warm-up will eliminate. The heat expansion of forged pistons is the whole reason guys first started cryo-treating and coating pistons with ceramics etc... they tried to deter as much heat from the piston as possible. That's not all of the reasoning behind piston coatings, but a major one.

That all being said, their is several piston makers out there that will serve your needs just fine and like I say, no matter what piston you use, as long as the cylinder is set-up correctly and you run your engine the way it should be, you'll have no problems.
    This is exactly what Sharp's explaned to me about my Wisecos. Their recommendation was to clearance the piston another 1 to 1 1/2 thousandth more, to prevent the cold seizure.

Thread Information