+1

Question Q: about running lights on a PWC

Hi guys, after this weekends episode, we had to travel back down stream for quite a while in near total darkness as the moon was in and out of clouds.
    It was really tough navigating, could barely recognise where we were at times and there are all kinds of obstacles like logs and debris on that river, not to mention other boats.

We didn't intend on being out after dark, but is it allowed if there are running lights?

Another question is: Can I hook up a compact driving light and have it run safely from the battery, or will that mess up the stator or other things on a vintage XP?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by SideFX View Post
    Hi guys, after this weekends episode, we had to travel back down stream for quite a while in near total darkness as the moon was in and out of clouds.
    It was really tough navigating, could barely recognise where we were at times and there are all kinds of obstacles like logs and debris on that river, not to mention other boats.

We didn't intend on being out after dark, but is it allowed if there are running lights?

Another question is: Can I hook up a compact driving light and have it run safely from the battery, or will that mess up the stator or other things on a vintage XP?

Thanks in advance.
    I don't know what the law is in BC but here in the states, skis have to be off the water half hour before sundown. As for running a light, don't know.

+1

Cool

same law us.you could put light on but if get caught -ouch!
    if it we me I'd use LED's they have all kinds BUT one again breaking the law

later cd

I'm in Ontario. My wife talked to the OPP. they could find anything about it being against the law. me and 2 of my friends have put the same lights that you would use on a boat(red/green bow, white back) on our sea doo's. there is a base on the hood and at the back where the light poles plug in. I don't use it a night much, but its nice if you are far from home and its gets dark.

It's unlawful to run PWCs in Ontario after dark (one hour after sunset) to sunrise. They are considered in the same category as water-skiing which is of course prohibited at night. That's the reason for no lights.... HOWEVER... if you do get 'stuck' at night you may use your flashlight (part of mandantory on-board safety equipment) to IDLE (dead slow for noise and visual reasons) to the nearest port. I'm sure that if one is cautious going about a procedure like this in an emergency that there would be no reprocussions from Johnny Law. Personally I have been out at night on my ski (for reasons unknown) and I wouldn't recommend it. No one can see you and you can't hear anything over the motor noise. So I see the logic here.... even for conventional craft....why bother???

In U.S. all laws fall back to maritime laws. Any PWC with proper lights (red, green, white) can lawfully operate in any navigable waterway. The catch is that after dark all traffic is restricted to 5mph or less, and in a small boat as a PWC the white light must be visible 360 deg. Hence lights on poles on small boats.

+1
    Zagger, I stopped in and checked with a marine dealer up the road here ( http://www.pocomarine.com ) and he has stated nearly the same thing. A jetski can be on the water after dark providing it is equipped with all the necessary marker lighting.
    Not that anyone would be blasting it anyway, but perhaps for camping and getting from one island to the next, etc...

I will tripple check this next time I see the Vancouver police on the water just to be absolutely positively sure.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I really appreciate getting help here in the forums.

Peter .)

Thread Information