Buy some stock in NGK?

My '03 Ultra 130 is gobbling spark plugs. I had about 15 hours on it and it was cutting out while accelerating, then finally wouldn't hook up at all. Plugs were pretty fouled. Changed the plugs and bammo--back to normal.

So with the new plugs, I go about another 7 hours and it starts cutting out again during acceleration and a little jumpy at WOT. Pulled the plugs, and they were just slightly dark...but not really that bad. I changed them anyways, and boom--again, it fixed the problem.

I had my ski in the shop and they ran a full checkup and computer diag...no problems.

Why is this? Am I running rich for some weird reason? I am using Redline synthetic oil, premium unleaded.

I have heard that my ski may need an oil pump back-flow device so that when it is sitting for a week or two, the oil won't seep. Whaddya think?

Thanks...Jason

I have the same problem. Have an '04 Ultra 130 DI. Sounds like crap right now... missing and vibrating at low RPM... accelration is crap. I'm hoping to find a cheaper plug alternative to the PZFR7G at $30 EACH!!!

Today I found some similar looking platinum plugs. Can't rememer the number right now... but I'll let you know if they work.

Eldon.

I found a cheaper replacement plug today. It is NGK TR5-1GP, The thing is, you need to tune this plug. The reach is about 1 mm too long. To account for this extra reach I removed the seat washers from the existing PZFR7G and screwed them onto the TR5 plugs. The TR5-1GP plugs are available at your local auto parts store and fit a variety of minivans. They are a single platinum plug wihich cost $18.00 for 4 instead of $25-$30 each.

Heres' the specs from NGK.

PZFR7G - Double Platinum plug, 14mm, 3/4" thread reach, 5/8" hex, gasket seat, resistor, ISO length, extra projected tip, extreme long life double platinum, fine point platinum on center electrode, platinum tip laser welded on ground electrode

TR5-1GP - GP Platinum plug, 14mm, .807" (20.5mm) reach, 5/8" hex, tapered seat, resistor, projected extended tip, long life single platinum, platinum center electrode only, trapezoid (beveled cut) ground electrode, .039"gap

Notice the difference. Once says THREAD reach, the other says reach. Also, the TR5 has a tapered seat. That's what gives the extra reach, so I added the seat wahsers to take up that extra space.

Works in the driveway... I have to water test.

Eldon.

Well I tested the TR5-1GP plugs tongiht on the water. As far as I can tell these are the same as the PZFR7G plugs. The ski runs much better after a plug change. Those others were definitely toast!

SO if you would rather spend $18 for four vs. $28 each... these are definitely worth a shot. Don't know about lifetime yet, but I'll report on lifetime as I use them.

Eldon.

Nice experiment. Now I can snag the plugs out of my wife's minivan if I ever need a set

I ran across this cross reference list in a Mazda Protege forum. I picked up some of the Bosch 4230 and will test those this weekend. They have a little less reach, and that may help alleviate the problem.

BTW, I believe the poor plug life is caused by the direct injection pouring cold fuel & oil accross the tip of a very hot plug. This causes the plug tip to heat cycle contantly. That's just my theory though.

The TR5-1GP plugs worked well but only had a 3 hour lifetime. Those were extended reach, platinum plugs. So now I am trying to shorten the reach up to see if that helps.

OK... here's the list.

NGK BKR7E (copper)
    NGK BKR7EIX-11 (iridium)(1 step colder)
    NGK ZFR7F-11
    NGK ZFR6F-11
    NGK pzfr7g-g
    Autolite AP3923 (platinum)(1 step colder)
    Autolite APP3923 (double platinum)(1 step colder)
    Autolite AR3923 (racing plugs, copper)(1 step colder)
    Autolite AP, APP, and AR3924 (stock heat range)
    Denso IK22 (1 step colder)
    Denso IK20 (stock heat range)
    Bosch 4230 (platinum)(stock heat range)
    Bosch 4310 (platinum +2)(stock heat range)
    Bosch 4418 (platinum +4)(stock heat range)
    Bosch 7562 (copper)(stock heat range)

Thread Information