Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quality work without compromise! Pale Rider's Avatar
    +1

Opinions Needed for vehicle purchase!

OK here is how it goes:
    I currently have a 2004 Ford Crown vic in immaculate condition, it has 38000 miles which is much for the less than 2 years that I have owned it, It is set up with class 2 hitch, I only tow thw ski when I`m off from work and our other vehicle (Xterra) is not avail,( wifey has it for work) The reason it has stayed so clean is that I avoid the dirty job sites by driving to the shop or co-workers house and commute in company vehicle, when I do drive it to sites, I always park AWAY in a paved lot sometimes quite a walk away, and that`s a PITA when it`s raining or snowing. And carrying all my tools of the trade, and clothing, and keeping the vic clean really sucks...

This is my dilemma:
    The longer I keep this car, the value drops really bad, from Oct of 05 to now was another 2000.00. I am considering trading up to a E-250 Ford van that with no harm drive right on the construction sites, mud gravel, just plain ol shit conditions, and which I can buy at a good price, but will choke on the trade in/re-sale of the vic. no matter how you slice it, I won`t get what I owe (finance) or even close...

So what say you:
    Get rid of the car now and take my losses...or

keep the car until the wheels fall off?

gas mileage is not an issue...PR...

wheels falling off is the way i am going to go. I have a company vechicle so i dont care to much about it.

+1
    That`s it no-one else?...PR...

A car is the worst investment you can make. It is a lot of money and it all goes away. That being said, we still have to live, and would like to live as comfortably as possible.

Do you own your own business that you can write it off? If you wont get what you owe on it, you may just want to keep it. How much longer do you have payment?

I am thinking of getting either a Chevy Avalanche or the Caddilac Escalade. I think they are the same truck. Right now I am towing my skis with the family Toyota Sienna mini van. (kind of embarrasing)

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jack
    thinking of getting either a Chevy Avalanche
    DOOO IT! god i love the Avys hit_it.gif

PR... keep the vic till the wheels fall off. e-series is such a "work" truck to have as a daily driver and tow ur ski with.

what's the difference if u buy a brand new van and beat taht up with gravel and whatnot... just learn to accept the vic getting dirty, and keep up with it and keep it clean religiously like every other monday completely clean it inside and out to new condition. if u stick with a cleaning routine, it can get beat on and as dirty as it wants and when push comes to shove, after she's all clean, u'll never know where it's been

+1
    That is so true, I can`t believe how this car dropped 10,000.00 in less than 1 year. I can write off mileage and wear and tear if I purchase new this year, The crown vic is def comfy, quick enough, 19-26mpg depending on speed. But I`m anal retarded about keeping it clean, bc the vic has 2 function, work and pleasure vehicle. Since we just purchased a 05 Xterra last Oct, that is pretty much our tow vehicle on the weekends, and go`in out ride. It kills me when I`m off during the week and use the vic to tow the ski, low tide basically buries the rear bumper, so I have to be selective when I go with the car. on the other hand a HD E-250 is tall plenty of power, I wouldn`t have to worry so much to keep it anally neat, have many tools/clothes etc, which fills the huge trunk of the vic and then some. I have nice aftermarket rims on the vic, air bags in the springs for towing, and a class II hitch. but the car was originally intended as back-up towing when bringing the ski to dealer or shop for service. I`m not really jiggy with climbing in the vic with my shorty wet suit, you get the idea, but I`m also not thrilled about laying out about 7g`s to trade up to the van...what to do hmmmm???...PR...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485
    Quote Originally Posted by jack
    thinking of getting either a Chevy Avalanche
    DOOO IT! god i love the Avys hit_it.gif

PR... keep the vic till the wheels fall off. e-series is such a "work" truck to have as a daily driver and tow ur ski with.

what's the difference if u buy a brand new van and beat taht up with gravel and whatnot... just learn to accept the vic getting dirty, and keep up with it and keep it clean religiously like every other monday completely clean it inside and out to new condition. if u stick with a cleaning routine, it can get beat on and as dirty as it wants and when push comes to shove, after she's all clean, u'll never know where it's been
    Stevo: the biggest convenience would be able to carry my stuff, bring crap to the recycle place, wouldn`t have to lay down the seats and trash the wifeys truck, I`ve driven PU`s and e-series van most of my carreer for my employers, no big deal there, but I would prolly miss the comfy vic, although the van would eventually let me do side work again, still dunno???...PR...

+1
    Consider the van purchase like a tool purchase. The van is going to allow you to make money. When you need to drill a 1/2" hole are you going to grab the 12 volt mikita or the 24 volt dewalt? The Van is just another tool of the trade that you get to use for towing your ski when not using it for making money. If you can offset the cost of the van by doing side work than I say go for it. As a good friend says Ride more and worry less.

I feel like to keep a vehical till it falls apart. My first car was a used 84 buick I bought it late 84 and sold it in 95 w/ 350,000 miles for $500,then I got a new 94 explorer and still have it with 86000 miles. But I do have a company truck I drive for work {F550 with a 39' Altec bucket on it}.I have been looking into new trucks but cant see a good reason to spend $40 to $50,000 for the one I want knowing it would sit in the driveway mostly, but thats my opinoion

PR,
    I'd say go for the van. I drive one for work, especially like the E350. The E150 ride too soft and carries way less. I would suggest going with the XLT instead of the base version; unless you like cheap, uncomfortable vinyl seats and no noise insulation. Maybe look for a used conversion van. Just get good floor mats and seat covers.
    I almost bought a E350 extended length 7.3 powerstroke van, seated 7 and had room in the back for a ton of stuff. Wife didn't like the 91k mileage on the used one I found. She didn't understand, prices for new one was higher than giraffe nuts.
    I drive em at least 175k or til the wheels fall off, then donate the dead, rusted carcass to charity. Hate to see the low trade-in value, but unfortunately Crown Vics don't hold their value

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information