Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Woohoo new motor starts, but is MAG running hot?

Woohoo! My experience on jetski's amounts to about 5 minutes on a standup when I was 10 years old, but I took an sl650 with a busted motor stripped it out completely and replaced everything and put in a 750. Got the 750 CDI from John Zigler today, popped it in, and we got spark!

Took some tries to start, but once started it idles smooth. Run over, crack the water on. I know it's flowing because I already purged the hose of air and it's dripping where the hose connects to the plastic fitting on the water manifold. I've read everywhere that the heads should feel warm to the touch, but have to lift your hand off after a few seconds. PTO and center are like this, however on that MAG cylinder you could instantly fry an egg on it. After everything I've read I'm scared to death to seize that thing up, so in the beginning I put in a 3 outlet pump and went to premix.

The carbs are rebuilt from the 650 and being used on this 750, as the manual shows them as identical for '94. The 650 specifies 1 turn out on the lows, while the 750 wants 1/2 turn out on lows. They were at a little over 1 turn out. Anything to do with that perhaps? Not necessarily a lean condition is it? Gotta look at all possibilities.

Realistically, running this thing on the hose, how warm is TOO warm? Break-in's gonna happen on the water, but gotta verify this thing's running right. Thanks!

you did rejet right?

+1
    Did you pinch off the water out line while running on the hose? The flush kit attaches to the water rail ahead of the thermostat that is not installed? So most of the flush water goes out the water out line. So you must pinch it off to let water back flow thru the system. Yes the Mag will run hotter. The best way to run on the hose is to install the flush fitting on the water in line from the pump that is the normal direction of water flow. Take it to the ramp and back it in and fire it on the trailer and see how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    you did rejet right?
    Nope, not just yet. According to the shop manual it specifies same jets in the 650 and 750 for 1994. Using this as a starting point. Am I way off or does that sound alright.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Did you pinch off the water out line while running on the hose? The flush kit attaches to the water rail ahead of the thermostat that is not installed? So most of the flush water goes out the water out line. So you must pinch it off to let water back flow thru the system. Yes the Mag will run hotter. The best way to run on the hose is to install the flush fitting on the water in line from the pump that is the normal direction of water flow. Take it to the ramp and back it in and fire it on the trailer and see how it is.
    Ahh, that's what I was looking for. Thanks beerdart, once again. Makes perfect sense. The water from the garden hose is just going flow out the normal inlet instead of the path of higher resistance through the motor. Going to run it at the ramp asap. Out of curiosity, anyone got a link for this flush fitting? As a noob I'm having a hard time picturing it.

+1
    Most peeps just crimp the out hose with needle-nose vise grips. (Dont forget to remove them as I did last year tie your lanyard around them LOL)And do not run it on the hose that much except to flush and to verify engine fire. Running on the hose for extended time is not good for the pump seals and bearings as they are somewhat water cooled since the are in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Most peeps just crimp the out hose with needle-nose vise grips.
    Don't you mean crimp the in hose at the water manifold?

+1
    After the thermostat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2701_2701018A.gif 
Views:	48 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	33406  

Ahh ok gotcha. Got a little mixed up on the path of circulation. Thanks!

+1
    Just drop the Pig in the water and run it like a rental!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fluidsuper.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	577.5 KB 
ID:	33409  

You are correct! I had to double check the jetting chart ! mine was dif by 15 between the 650 and 750 for the years I had! are you running premix yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information