Lightbulb Easy way to properly check oil with no mods or extra parts!

So I was talking with one of our tech's (Harley) at work about my ski and such. He is a master level tech, and been around Harleys since I have been crapping in my pants. I discussed the oil dipstick issue with the seals at the top and asked if he had an extra dipsick for something laying around his garage. He told me yeah, I'll bring one in from an old chevy...I thought great...then he said he was just gonna whip me with it for being short sighted. He opened up his tool box and threw me a metal scribe and a tape measure. I asked what the hell I was going to do with these. He went on to throw a towel at me and scolded me again and sent me back to my office to think.

In the end, what he was getting at is simply measure the distance from the top of the dipstick where it touches the tube to the top of the last seal. It was 3/4 of an inch. the measure from your top cold or hot mark or both and scribe down 3/4 of an inch. Thats your new mark and no more displacing the oil in the tube with trapped air from the dipstick.

Incidently, the distance from the full to add marks both hot and cold is 3/4 of an inch. SO PUT THE DIPSTICK IN TO THE FIRST SEAL, AND THE NEW FULL MARK IS THE OLD ADD MARK.....EASY & FREE

Someone might have figured this out already and posted, but my excitement has overwhelmed me!
    Last edited by Black_Bart; 07-31-2007 at 07:52 PM.

+1
    I'm gonna give this a try. Have you tried it yet?

SeaDoocer
    Good deal. I'm going out and try it now.

SeaDoocer
    That certainly would have worked. I just grabbed my grinder and just ground one side of the rubber seal flat and it works great! Still seals at the top.

It does work well, and does not require any work at all....I like easy!

Hope this info helps some that are worried about too much oil. Thanks for the post.

SeaDoocer
    Black,
    Are you saying that you only push it down until you come to the first rubber seal and then you read it at that position? and your mark is positioned further below at 3/4" than where you would normally read it?

That is correct. if you line up the flat top of the bottom seal with the top of the dipstick tube, you read it exactly 3/4 of an inch below where you normally would. 3/4 of an inch below is actually the fill marks for both the hot and cold. Pretty simple, really.

1 picture = 1000 words.
    Can you?
    Please?

Here are the pictures, sorry to hijack someones pics, but I am heading to sturgis in about 20 minutes and dont have time to take my own. Basically you are just measuring down the stick the equal amount that you are holding it out from the dipstick tube. Incidentally, the bottom seal top is 3/4" from the stop and the low oil level is 3/4" down the shaft. This make for easy reference. but here are the pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1871Emod.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	33601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_432865mod.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	33602  

Thread Information