+1

Not enough volts, no spark

I've read on the forum about how the battery volts need to be at least 10.7 when cranking to get a spark...something like that.

With all my hot starting problems, I ran my new battery weak enough...it didn't sound weak because my starter cranks like crazy, but after no start I pulled a plug and didn't see any spark, so I assumed the worst.

We did jump it with a truck, engine off, and it started so I caused my own problem trying to hard to start a hot engine. I took the battery out and charged it off my truck for 20 mins and got the ski back in the water.

I had been cranking for several seconds at a time but now I only bump the starter for a second or two listening for the engine to fire. The volts seem to stay high enough until I crank too long. No sense cranking if the volts drop to low. And that is keeping the battery stronger longer until the engine cools enough to want to run again.

Am I on the right track here?

You should get a volt meter and check the battery voltage while cranking. It should be 10+ v while cranking.

If is not starting when hot (and the battery voltage is 10+) there is something wrong. I read your other thread about fouling the plugs and would guess that is might be time to rebuild and/or adjust the carbs.

+1
    You need a good battery .If you keep using a batt with low volts or poor condition the small amount of money you think you are saving will be mi nute to the amount you will spend repairing electrical components that have crapped them selves because of too much current draw .Not to mention the swim when you have it fail out on the water .The higher the volts the lesses current draw .Some components don't like excess current draw .

Cheers

Bernie

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    You need a good battery .If you keep using a batt with low volts or poor condition the small amount of money you think you are saving will be mi nute to the amount you will spend repairing electrical components that have crapped them selves because of too much current draw .Not to mention the swim when you have it fail out on the water .The higher the volts the lesses current draw .Some components don't like excess current draw .

Cheers

Bernie
    The battery is new, it's just that with so much trouble restarting the hot engine, I run it down a bit too much, that's all.

Cold it starts easily. Hot sometimes it will start if I crank right away but it I don't I often have to wait several minutes to get it to fire.

ya i have the same craft as you , and almost i dentical problems .

the previous owner had the elec stator and cdi replaced , iv been delt with cleaning the carbs well im my case replaceing the carbs and replaceing the fuel lines ,

go down and buy a roll of 1/4 inch i.d. fuel line about 20 feet , a fuel filter 1/4 fuel filter and a primer bulb . and 2 cans of cleaner ,

give me call and ill walk you thru and show you what to look for when cleaning them ,

its seems you have a fuel issues , and when you have fuel issues with a 2 stroke and its still running you might burn up a cly or even worse fri a crank shaft
    Last edited by Bone1050; 08-01-2007 at 05:36 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 97sltx1050 View Post
    ya i have the same craft as you , and almost i dentical problems .

the previous owner had the elec stator and cdi replaced , iv been delt with cleaning the carbs well im my case replaceing the carbs and replaceing the fuel lines ,

go down and buy a roll of 1/4 inch i.d. fuel line about 20 feet , a fuel filter 1/4 fuel filter and a primer bulb . and 2 cans of cleaner ,

give me call and ill walk you thru and show you what to look for when cleaning them ,

its seems you have a fuel issues , and when you have fuel issues with a 2 stroke and its still running you might burn up a cly or even worse fri a crank shaft
    Thanks! First project is repairing my hull that got spanked hard on some rock on the canal bank. I did the ignition upgrade about 6 weeks ago when I bought this ski.

Thread Information