+1

Starting a ski that has sat a long time

One of the guys who works for me was just given a Waveraider. Ski is in great shape. The previous owner said ran great when he parked it. The ski has not been ran in 5 ~ 6 years and I am getting ready to resurect it from the dead. I have already poured a 1/4 cup of 2 cycle oil in the cylinders. I plan on replacing all the fuel lines, fuel filters, spark plugs, and battery.
    Other than packing the carbs well, is there anything else I should do to keep from toasting it upon start up?
    Any help would be great.

+1
    Hey Kirk..

First order of business is get all the old fuel out the tank..

Then maybe run the first tank on premix..

Could be issues with the plug leads after lying so long..?

Other than what you've mentioned, maybe re-grease anything that should be greased..

Good Luck..

Gerry

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    One of the guys who works for me was just given a Waveraider. Ski is in great shape. The previous owner said ran great when he parked it. The ski has not been ran in 5 ~ 6 years and I am getting ready to resurect it from the dead. I have already poured a 1/4 cup of 2 cycle oil in the cylinders. I plan on replacing all the fuel lines, fuel filters, spark plugs, and battery.
    Other than packing the carbs well, is there anything else I should do to keep from toasting it upon start up?
    Any help would be great.

what i do when my ski sits for any length of time. pull the plugs and put said oil down the holes. then get a long thin bladed screwdriver and slowly push the pistons up and down, going from cylinder to cylinder. this gives you the feel for whether anything is sticking that might be a problem if you cranked it with the wires off. just a slow way to turn everything over and lube it good. then i go for the cranking with no plugs to get the scuff on the cylinders off

+1
    Thanks guys.
    Draining the fuel and oil tank and greasing every moving component as well, for sure, left all that out. We will be going premix on this boat as well. I like the idea of pushing the pistons with a screw driver too. I was even thinking of pulling the pump and starting it without the pump in it.

Maybe even pull the pump shaft and re-pack it. You thing that is needed?

+1
    On a ski that has been sitting that long I would pull the carb and clean and inspect it first before starting. I would also turn the engine by hand before starting as this may show you a problem if there is one. Other than that I would do the other things you are talking about.

Thread Information