Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Heat?

The Heat?

Do these things really go alot slower in the heat? Today my friend w/an (ultra250) beat me "alot" for like 1/4 mile before I caught up and passed him only by a lil... In (NY) it was like 95-97 Degrees and the water temp had to be way up too. Also I had to step my sponsons the other day to stable the ski out, its stable now pretty much anyway but ya think that would slow it much as well? Anyone Thanks...

My Ski:
    • R&D Rideplate, Skegged...
    • R&D Aquavein Intake Grate
    • Solas Dynafly Impeller YG-DF 14/20
    • Solas Billet Aluminum Impeller Cone
    • R&D or Riva Pump Seal Kit
    • True / Race Finish Impeller True / Balance / Race Finish Impeller Repitch / Balance / Race Finish Impeller
    • D-plate cat removed...

Yes they go slower but so do all the others. When a craft beats you out of the hole it takes a while to catch and pass him unless you just have LOTS of topend speed over him. You would be well served getting a jetworks or "holeshot" kit if your going to drag race an ultra or an rxp. Also I see you have a r&d grate but is it an 800 or 1200? The 1200 would be best in a drag race.

Stepping the sponsons will scrub just a little speed but it is neccesary in order to keep the boat stable at high speed.

However, now that you stepped your sponsons and are running nice and stable now you can increase the angle on that ride plate to pick up more speed.

All good points... I dont know what he put on 12 or 800 no clue to be honest. I will look into the holeshot kit though next time I go in for some more mods and bringing down the plate he did say I have room to do that last time but if the plate goes down then wont the sponsons not have an effect anymore again? then what to do to stable it if so?

You bring the rear of the plate up to give it more speed because it lifts more of the hull out of the water. When you step the sponsons it makes the boat more stable and allows you to run the plate looser (angled higher in rear). If you would'nt have stepped your sponsons you would need to lower the rear of the plate or put shims under the trim tabs to gain stability. Basicly its all a balancing act. Make it stable here, make it faster there, and before you know it you found the right combo for max speed with control.

I like the front of the plate to be as close to flush as possible on the angled sides of the plate, which usually leaves the flat part about .015 above the pump shoe.

Last weekend the weather in Michigan realy started to heat up again, I guess similar to NY I lost at least 50 RPM's and thats a good 1/2 MPH on the top.
    GPHOTROD lost a 100 RPM's and we are set up exactly the same and usually run identical rpm's and mph. SO yes the weather can make a huge difference when the heat and esspecially the humidity go's up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicedrop25 View Post
    My Ski:
    • R&D Rideplate, Skegged...
    • R&D Aquavein Intake Grate
    • Solas Dynafly Impeller YG-DF 14/20
    • Solas Billet Aluminum Impeller Cone
    • R&D or Riva Pump Seal Kit
    • True / Race Finish Impeller True / Balance / Race Finish Impeller Repitch / Balance / Race Finish Impeller
    • D-plate cat removed...
    You didnt list what year model ski, or if you had any engine mods. If you havent done reeds or compression, you will not be able to turn the Dynafly prop at the optimum RPM's. Do you have a tach? If so, what kind of RPM is it turning on the big end?

My ski is an 07 and under it I listed everything I had done to it.. And yea I was thinking I need to get those few extras to turn the 14/20 prop as well.. It will make a massive difference ya think? I dont have any pick up really no bottom end but mid and top is pretty good when its in the water.

+1
    Without knowing RPM's its really hard to tell. I would put money on it that the RPMs are too low to turn that prop properly. The compression and reeds would make a BIG difference.

Any suggestions on which ones to buy? I think you may be right its a lil dead at the start needs some love there. Maybe a holeshot kit as well so Ive seen. Which ones ya think and bout how much ya think they'll run>?

+1
    If you want a cheap tach you can order a Tiny Tach for about $35.00 I think.

I suggest a PET 2100, they are available through the online store here for about $200.00 shipped.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information