Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile 1997 GSX vs 1997 SPX

hi, why is my brothers 1997 GSX 800 faster top end than my 1997 SPX 800. (we both weigh the same and both had full tanks of fuel.)...i thought the SPX was a couple mph faster top end (for this year GSX verse SPX).from a dead stop race im out front by a couple of boat lengths,but then he eventually creeps up and passes me .if we go at it from mid throttle he will be right with me then again creeps out front by a boat length or so...whats up with that? i mean he does nothing to this ski but beat the shite out of it and it goes like hell.i baby mine and do everything for her and im gettin beat. what could be worn out on mine? the Impeller? carbs? any suggestions.by the way this was today on glass water. in the real chop he creams me ...im all over the place tryin to hold on for dear life.of course i can throw mine around better and do jumps spinouts etc far better than his GSX.but i need to beat him top enders ASAP.please help....!
    Last edited by levonhelmet; 08-01-2007 at 09:41 PM. Reason: adding info

Banned User
    +1
    You got VTS on that thing? if so, what is your setting?

+1
    take off your intake grate & run him.

+1
    you probably need to repace your wear ring, and get your impeller repaired or even replace with an aftermarket.
    have you cleaned/rebuilt your rave valves ever?
    and screw the caps in the raves all the way down.
    also, check your compression, maybe your ski is gettin a little worn and compression is low...
    that would lessen performance slightly.
    i had both skis you got, the GSX might have been a hair faster, cuz in most water conditions the bigger hull hooks up better.
    also like danny said, use the VTS and trim all the way up for top speed in glass conditions

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The SPX is 1 mph faster top end. You have tuning issues and/or pump issues. Without a digital tach...it will be hard to fine tune.

BTW...GSX hulls were never faster top end than X-4's. Close, but never faster.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    BTW...GSX hulls were never faster top end than X-4's. Close, but never faster.
    I heard that!! My spec 2 limited setup which I feel is running good will only get to 61 quickly but a lesser x-4 will keep up. Except in the chop, the GSX will walk away.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    I heard that!! My spec 2 limited setup which I feel is running good will only get to 61 quickly but a lesser x-4 will keep up. Except in the chop, the GSX will walk away.
    Just to add to Jim's post...stock for stock the GSX hull will beat an X4 hull in the chop, simply because it's heavier. More air time equals a slower ski...it's that simple. A Worx grate on both will probably make the X4 faster, because when it lands it accelerates quicker, and the Worx substantially improves hookup.

When mine was slightly modded, (pipe and flame arrestors) I beat a 1998 XPL in the chop with my 96. It was 2-3 footers...the dude was so pissed he got beat by an X4. Riders of both skis also have substantial input on hookup of the ski. A good rider of a slower ski will also win, knowing how to work the chop.

Smile

hi,thanks for the input.i would have responded sooner but ive been up at my cottage for a while.ive cleaned the raves (really needed it) and added a set of r&d trim wings and now im a little faster top end,because i can go full out in the chop with out it jumping out of the water so much. its amazing the difference the trim wings make on how the ski handles and hooks up it doesnt porpoise like it used to.why didnt seadoo just make these stock?im going to put on an R&D intake grate next.......
    The other thing with his ski is, its really slow off the line. ive ridden another GSX just recently of the same year (97)and its much quicker out of the hole.we,ve cleaned his raves as well and put in some new plugs and the motor only has 40 hours on it.it did get flooded when he forgot to put his drain plugs back in a month ago.but we went through the whole list of things to do after flooding and it seemed ok. but now its just really slow pickup off line but top end is still good. the impeller and wear ring look good as well...any ideas on what could be the matter.
    thanks

+1

Cool

Sounds like an oem graphics package issue and I see it all the time.

Chapter G17B, page 1,498 of the '07 International Standards manual on performance graphics, (3rd edition I think) states that: "All PWC's must sport a complimentary package in order to achieve maximum output"

A sharper image will always improve overall performance, AND, surely cut wind sheer by at least .00387 as well for repelling heavy static water faster thereby reducing overall drag by something like .28 while increasing lead position by 12.7% within a head wind of 8 knots (+-) .

Even if it isn't tested in the German made graphics dynamics test tunnel and dyna-color-o-meter (patent pending), you will certainly notice the difference immediately. (No tools or lengthy technical manual required either).

*Governing bodies have surveyed these modifications and deem them to be well within race standards & mods.

Trust me, I know it's true!!

Put a R&D Aquavein intake grate, and a Solas Concord 15/23 impeller on that gsx, then check his hole shot........BigT

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information