Sand/Mud in the impeller

Ok so I messed up today and got sand/mud sucked up into the impeller. Scared the crap out of me at first cause I would hit the gas and get nothing. I shut it down and gave it a sec then started her up and it blew all the crap out the jet and runs fine. However from a dig there is some hesitation. Almost like it's cavatating a little then she hooks up and goes. Could I have done some damage to the impeller or any other parts of the jet drive. If I have to replace the impeller then that just means that I am going to have to start modding and I was gonna hold off on that for a few lol.

Any ideas on what I may have done though? Or what I can try to trouble shoot the problem? unfortunatly being new to the whole jet drive thing I am unfamiliar with all the internal parts and not sure what I may have done.

+1
    yes, you messed up your plastic wear ring and it's cavitating out of the hole.

$45 part

Yeah I figured I did something like that. How hard is it to replace a wear ring? Maybe I should just get the PPG level 1 kit that they are pushing on me at the marina and have them do it Ha Ha. And I though I would be happy with the stock speed lol. Not that I'm not but more can't hurt he he he. Does $1200 installed sound fair for the level 1 PPG kit?

Also excuse the Newbie questions but what is the purpose of the wear ring and where is it in the jet drive? Do they have to be replaced normally or just when you do something stupid like I did?

Lasst thing.......Where can I get the Stainless wear ring and would you reccomend it? If Ihad the stainless one do you think this would have happened?

Well whatever it's done now the ski is at the shop getting the PPG Stage 1 Kit . Never repair when you can upgrade

you do NOT want a stainles wear ring esc if u ride in places you suck stuff up in .... you will be replacing 400 dollar props instead of 40 dollar wear rings ...there is a reason why the wear ring is plastic and its a pretty good one I think ..

Yeah I stuck with the plastic.

I was idling around Joe Pool lake last weekend,just basically sightseeing/cruising around the shoreline.I began to notice I was losing forward movement at idle,but I was a good 100 yeards from shore.I tried a little throttle and still was dead in the water.I was thinking,oh shit,what now? I proceed to jump off the ski and paddle off to shore when as soon as my legs hit the water they become entangled in some kind of water plants........100 yards from the shoreline mind you!!.This stuff was hiding about 1 -1 1/2 feet below the surface. I began to paddle back out,(hoping noone happens to be watching,lol),and have to paddle a good ways to get out of the crap.Then just reached underneath and pulled about 3 good handfuls out and it was fine.Whew,think I'll stick with the plastic ring myself,this is the 3rd time I have sucked something up into my grate.Only problem have ever had so far in 50 hours.

+1
    Joe Pool was the lake where an underwater branch ripped an OPAS paddle off my NA 4 Tec back in early 2003. It was then my borther-in-law invented the OPAS block off. Make no mistake, we did the very first OPAS block off despite what some dealers will tell you. Look here:

http://www.sea-doo.net/board/thread....d=40706#374671

The wear ring is the white composit material you see surrounding your impeller. Pulling the pump and changing the wear ring isn't tough to do. It may take longer the first time but it gets easier . The wear ring is meant to take the punishment and save the impeller. Some folks have placed the whole pump assembly in the freezer for a couple hours and pulled the wear ring without having to remove the impeller...this is a great time saver! I wasn't that lucky and had to remove the impeller. I would go ahead and get the impeller tool (not very expensive) and a 12 mm allen wrench. You'll need them sooner or later.
    If you have problems or questions, there are several people here that can walk you through this.

Thread Information