Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1995 SL 750. worth saving?

My parents have this machine that still runs, but is in rough shape. I'm curious if it's worth putting some time, money, maybe some upgrades into it. I really like riding it. It seems to be one of the most fun jumping jet ski's I've ever ridden. Here's what I think it needs:

new throttle lever
    trim motor, maybe switch (stuck all the way up right now)
    carb cleaning, maybe reeds
    top end rebuild

If I can find the parts, I can do the work. It's taking in a lot of water right now. The bilge pump in it (regular little electrip pump on a switch) doesnt keep up, and eventually water will splash in the intake when jumping around and bog it down. I'm assuming it's related to the seals around the impeller shaft. It always starts and runs, but doesnt idle well and needs the choke to start a lot, even if it's warm. Carbs have never been cleaned.

I'm not all that familiar with all the polaris models of this time frame, but I'm just starting to read up. I understand there are fuel system and coolant upgrades, as well as a different style jet pump and impeller I might could find used for a good upgrade. Not sure if it'll need just rings, or pistons as well, or even a good place to buy this stuff. I havent done a compression test, but I'm sure it's due for a freshening. Power is definitely down.

looking for input/opinions

thanks
    Eric

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Do the compression test. If it's low, maybe you can just hone the cyls and re-ring it. Your carbs will most likely need cleaning and can be the cause of the power loss. I'd replace all fuel hoses and maybe the fuel selector valve too. A used seal/bearing can be had for around $30.

+1
    I'd do compression as see where it goes from there as well.
    If the compression is good, the rest is little stuff and the boat is certainly worth throwing a couple bucks at.

I'll do a comp check this weekend. I just realized it has the wrong plugs. It has BR9ES in it, and I just looked up and saw I should be BPR8ES. I might pop the carbs off and clean them, too.

Anyone know what might be causing it to take on so much water. Probably the bearing/seal?

Are upgraded reeds worth anything? If I take the carbs off, I might as well change those. I know a lot of two strokes have descent stock reeds. Not sure about these.

thanks
    Eric

+1
    put it in the water and check and see if water is coming in from around the shaft, also pull the protective cover off the coupling so you can see if thats it for sure .

does it need to be running? It's in the water now, and it seems as though it doesnt really take on much water just sitting there tied to the dock. It's not until you start driving it around. You can just cruise around and it'll take on water.

+1
    Run it in the water with the seat off and see if you find the water leak.
    Exhaust hose maybe?
    Through hull fitting?

parts

I'm starting to look for parts. Anyone deal with this guy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polar...0705QQtcZphoto

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polar...2038QQtcZphoto

Which model ski is it that you want to get the extended jet pump assy from?

carbs

Man, I must of lost some brain cells getting older. I threw the right spark plugs in last night and it actually ran a lot better. Still boggish and real low on bottom end power, so I started taking the carbs off to clean them. I've got all the bolts/nuts off, except for those 4 inner ones. I had these carbs off 10 years ago to change some broken reed petals, yet, I can't figure out for the life of me how to get those bolts out. The only think I can think of is a 10mm crows foot, but I know for sure I didn’t have one of those 10 years go. What am I missing here? Anyone got any good tips for getting at those? If you hold the throttle WOT, it gives a little more room, but it's still too much angle to get a socket to grab.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Eric

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1

carbs

sounds like you are pulling the reed cages again and not just the "6" 12-mm nuts on the bottem of the carb rack to get the carbs off
    matt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information