Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1

Factory Pipe2 water routing??

hello everyone!
    i'm new to the site but have been an avid rider since 96. I just put a fresh rebuild in my machine and decided to make her a sleeper this year. i bought a factory pipe spec 2 used and have most of the parts. the only thing is that i need help with determining jetting and the lady at FP is terrible. no help at all. i am looking for some one with clear pictures of how the water is routed before the water inlet on the head. (where the water filter and regulator go) and info on what size jets i need. I also have an R&D head on it as well, if it makes any difference.
    thanks in advance
    nick

Jug Inspector
    Yes, the R&D head makes a difference. What's your compression or squish (preferably squish as it tells a lot more) at?

With that R&D head AND fac. spec II you may be wandering into more than pump gas territory (to be safe of course).

Water routing - water in, water out. You may want to hard-jet the pipe instead of the water regulator, and use a Jetworks valve.

Bryan

Jug Inspector
    Oh ya, Welcome to the HULK!

Bryan

+1
    what is squish? never heard that term before. i'm checking my compression today sometime, im guessing that its around 175psi somewhere.
    the rest of my machine is stock as of now. do you run yours on 93 octane or race fuel with your setup? just wondering if im heading in that direction like you said.
    as for the FP2, i thought that hard jetting was for racing? and isnt the water runnng all the time? if this is the way to go how do you set it up and dont you have to change something with the waterbox?
    sorry for all the questions i just want to get it right before i have to junk the ski

Jug Inspector
    Squish is the section of the head on the outside, that comes closest to the piston. The distance between that squish band and your piston is commonly referred to as "squish"

175 should be ok with 93 octane.

What jets are you running now? Are you ported at all? If you don't have aftermarket flame arrestors, get some. Let the motor breathe!

I just went to 150 mag/147.5 pto jets. Probably rich, but I like to be on the safe side and come down from there. If you're running stock you're probably at 145 or 142.5.

I got myself into trouble with mine and it appears I *may* need to run AVgas or race fuel. 195psi will do that to ya.

Bryan

+1
    i'm still running the stock carbs and stock air box at the current settings till i figure out what jets i need.(i havent tried to fire it up with the pipe on) not sure if im ported at all on the head. the guy that i bought the motor off of didn't know either. how big of a difference will it make if it is? this guy only builds stockers but he got this head off of someone elses motor. the motor has Hot Rod parts and teflon coated pistons as well.
    do you have pictures of a hard-jet setup?

Jug Inspector
    I'm running stock carbs too (FOR NOW!)... and you'll have plenty of performance with them. You really do need to get an aftermarket flame arrestor. If you plan on doing it in the future you might as well now. No point in tuning, just to change it when you have it perfect. You're not going to get as much out of the pipe with the stock airbox.

I can get you some picture of hard-jetting.

You can either drill a hole into the stinger of the pipe and tap it, then thread in a barbed hose fitting. The barbed hose fitting would need to be tapped to fit different jets into it.

Your other option is hard-jet the waterbox, same way but you can use the hole that's there from the valve.

Bryan

+1
    my stinger does have a hose/fitting coming out of the very end of it by the rubber fitting that connects to the water box. i have a sprayer at the top of the exhaust manifold and another at the back side of the head pipe. i havent changed anything yet. its from the other guys setup.

as for the carbs, wont i be running a little lean being stock? i plan on getting a set of 40mm or 44mm Novi carbs or Buckshot carbs...sometime this winter.
    so you are saying that it will run fine with the stock carbs at the current settings? and i wont blow it up?

Jug Inspector
    I'm running stock 40mm's and a Rossier, posrting, and hard-jetted pipe, and high compression. No problems yet. I do plan on upgrading to some 44's or 46's though. Bigger carbs are not always better - a smaller carb creates a higher air velocity, better low-rpm response, and a better carb signal. Have you looked at www.groupk.com at all in their sea-doo section? TONS of info there, for your setup. You need to know what jets you have in there now and if they're big enough for what you have. I would guess not but who knows it could be rich. It will run good, just not get everything that combo has together. You won't blow it up if you are jetted correctly.

My digital camera has appeared to have taken a crap since I let the girlfriend use it. Take some pics of your setup, and GET INTO THOSE CARBS!

Bryan

+1
    thanks man, i apprecieate it. you have been the most helpful person on any of the forums that i have been on. yes, i have been to group K. but i havent looked at it in a while. it might be more helpful now. i'll have more details tomorrow. i have to swap the battery out of my 95 to get some answers on compression.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information