Thread: Tank Testing ??

+1

Tank Testing ??

Greetings--

One of our 04 GTX LTD's has been making a noise when it runs. It sounds as if runs "rough" when running at speed-- sort of a soft grinding noise. Basically, its noisier than the other one. I notice it because our other one doesnt make this noise when running. The "good" one "swishes" and runs quiet (and about 2-03 MPH faster-- of course its the g/f's.....).

I've been told its the wear ring needing replacement. I haven't replaced it yet (only 50-60 hrs). I've also been told it may be the pump bearing.

Its still under warrenty. I took it into the shop last week in an attempt to beat the rush. They told me they'd replace the wear ring and run it in their test tank. Will running it in a test tank give them a good picture of how it runs in the open ?

I plan to get it out on the lake right after it comes out of the shop. If they replace the wear ring and give their OK-- and I take it to the lake-- still same problem-- what else ? Suggestions ?

The service interval for the GTX pump is @ 50 hours, just to have a look see for water intrusion, If you have water in there, then I can see bearing failure looming, but most likely the wear ring is toast, they usually only last around 25-35 hours depending on where/how you ride it.

as far as the testing tank, they can spin it up to see if the engine is running properly, but I don`t think they mash it and hold it there, unless there is a distinct rev related problem. Ie missing or breaking up etc.

also if the motor is running a little rough, could also indicate spark plugs.

wear related items are not under warranty...good luck...PR...

+1
    It doesn't sound like the engine missing or running rough-- more of a "grrrrr" sound when running at speed.

I'll just eat the $$ for the dealer to replace the wear ring this time. I'll replace it myself mid-season if a 25 hr interval is recomended. If all goes as expected this year-- We'll go through at least 2-3 of them this season Case discounts ?

What about the pump serviceing-- is that a warrenty or BEST covered item or is it "normal" wear and tear? Somthing I can learn to do myself ?

Quote Originally Posted by Piney
    It doesn't sound like the engine missing or running rough-- more of a "grrrrr" sound when running at speed.

I'll just eat the $$ for the dealer to replace the wear ring this time. I'll replace it myself mid-season if a 25 hr interval is recomended. If all goes as expected this year-- We'll go through at least 2-3 of them this season Case discounts ?

What about the pump serviceing-- is that a warrenty or BEST covered item or is it "normal" wear and tear? Somthing I can learn to do myself ?
    It would be under warranty only if it was mechanical failure not contributed by lack of service, ie: say everything looks good, but the shaft or bearing failed bc of defect, but if there is water in there and you have no record of the dealer servicing the pump at the prescribed schedule it would be on you. You could check it yourself, but if water has gotten in it then I would have a shop do it. PPG did my first 50 hour service when I had my first re-pitch done. You would remove the 3 allen cap screws that hold on the tail cone and inspect the grease, you look for contamination and correct amount of grease, that is special jet pump grease also...

having bearing failure or water intrusion before the 50 hour service or close to it doesn`t seem likely to be your fault unless your pump or prop is damaged by sucking something into it. It`s hard to call it, could also be one of the blades on the prop is out of whack, since it is in the hands of the shop, they will determine the cause of the noise...PR..

Thread Information