Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Howdy, all! New guy with GP1200R

first post here for me! i've been lurking for quite awhile though and taking advantage of the 'search' button. so just a quick introduction:

i bought a 2002 gp1200r last year after a good 7 months of research (all between an '00 XP, Ultra 150, and GPR) and searching until I found a pretty good deal. i owned a '97XP before the GPR, but after riding it for a summer, I decided that it was too unstable for me AND the girlfriend to ride (even though she said she was fine), so I set about finding something bigger.

and faster. a friend on a lake I have a house on -- Dale Hollow Lake in Tennessee -- had an '01XP with a PPG Level 1 kit and a Nujet impeller, so it would run 64mph on GPS on good days. to my pleasant surprise, I could hang with him on glass and pull away in 6" lake chop. that didn't last long though, because the XP suddenly started having 'technical problems' and resulted in a trade-in on a new RXP.

i've been reading plenty on all the speed mods done for GPRs... i'm interested in hitting 70 with very little engine work, so i've been reading everything I can about rideplates, trim tabs, pump upgrades, impellers... some of you guys have done so much with it!! i'm currently studying to be an aerospace engineer, so air/water flow is pretty interesting to me!

+1
    Welcome to GH Cincy.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cincygpr View Post
    i've been lurking for quite awhile though and taking advantage of the 'search' button.

Thank you VERY much for using the search function.

Welcome to the forum and with everyones help it should be no problem (with the exception of some $$$$$) reaching your 70 mph goal.

well, with useful forums (like this one!) it's easy to find the info you need by just digging a little bit, plus you usually can find other good stuff randomly.

and it seems like a few guys on here have plenty of info to share anyway, so they've already helped me out from their posts.

i'm figuring i'll just ride the ski stock for this season, then at the end of the season, install a home-made d-plate (i'm only at about 50 hours and won't be putting on many more before it's time to pack up for the season) and maybe get the stock rideplate, tabs, and grate off to sand them smooth and get to the pump shoe to fill it with a PPK or just with lots of silicone... not sure how well straight silicone will work.

and while I have the pipe off to get to the d-plate, i can see if i broke any bolt mounts for the plate or tabs and replace them with the riva replacements.

then from there, probably a modded rideplate, grate -- i hear it's a must --, open the hull up, fill the rideplate holes, shim the stock tabs, impeller... i figure i'll stick with a basic setup at first just to see how much speed i can milk by fine-tuning everything. THEN i'll start screwing with carbs, heads, etc.
    Last edited by cincygpr; 08-03-2007 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cincygpr View Post
    i can see if i broke any bolt mounts for the plate or tabs and replace them with the riva replacements.

welcome to the forum

i wouldnt recommend buying the riva inserts, buy the 2005 gpr oem inserts from boats.net...theres no comparison. my rivas are sitting in the corner dying
    Last edited by RDH; 08-03-2007 at 01:21 PM.

XLTNoob
    Are there OEM inserts for my '01 XLT 1200 as well?

Caution raider fan in the area !!
    +1
    welcome , to the forum .

+1
    welcome to the forum

Welcome cincygpr. There is a wealth of knowledge here. Good luck on hitting your goals.

First Welcome to the forum. You don't want the Riva and R&D inserts they will pull through. Get the Yamaha replacements from boats.net. Where abouts on dale hollow are you located? I will be there in about 2 weeks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information