Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

A word about oil

I recently have recomended to use quicksilve 100 percent synthent at wall mart cost is about 32 a gallon. The reason I recomend this oil is because I have hard a hard time getting wisco pistons and milum coated cylinders to breake in a look excelent. they just dont look good. compression as as far as I can tell performance doesent suffer. But they just dont look good with the yamalube on breakin. The quicksilver does an excelent job with the breakin.
    The cylinders and pistons look excelent BUT I have found out yesterday that it is leaving a slugdey build up in the water box. Mine had over a half inch in places SO for now all I know is it would be good for breakinn but I am going back to the yamalube for now. dont know how my piston and cylinders will look but its all I kniow for now. any one has nay input on this it will be welcomed.

P. S. this is what was told to milum about the cylinders Chuck, not that you had done anything wrong. well except about the sludge as I have just learend this.

I Dont Want Ten Pissing Matches.
    I Talked To The Guy At Millenium They Stated That My Stuff Was So Worn Because I Used The Wrong Oil. I Used The Quicksilver As You Recomended With The Fuel Mix And Oil Mix You Told Me To Use. This Is The Past Just Take Care Of Your Your Obligation To You Customer And This Will Be Over.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck View Post
    I Talked To The Guy At Millenium They Stated That My Stuff Was So Worn Because I Used The Wrong Oil. I Used The Quicksilver As You Recomended With The Fuel Mix And Oil Mix You Told Me To Use. This Is The Past Just Take Care Of Your Your Obligation To You Customer And This Will Be Over.
    That may be what they said but I did not tell them you had run the wrong oil.

Ok That Is Fine

+1
    nevermind.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck View Post
    you're off topic, imo. Should keep it on the other thread...again..imo only.

Is amsoil or mobil 1 not good enough for breakin? yamalube sludges pv's..

+1
    I have been using quicksilver from walmart for 8 years now. I never heard of such things. I don't even use the synthetic, I use the regular pwc quicksilver oil. When I've used other brands of oils I have had issues with my motor. The quicksilver is one the best pwc oils out there. From what I was told a long time ago was not to use synthetic oil to break in a brand new motor as it takes the rings longer to seat on the pistons.
    SHOOTER

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter98xpl View Post
    From what I was told a long time ago was not to use synthetic oil to break in a brand new motor as it takes the rings longer to seat on the pistons.
    SHOOTER
    My opinion also. Sometimes the rings never seat correctly if synthetic is used during break in, I don't care if its a PWC, car, or lawnmower. After break in synthetic oil is fine to use, and as far as I'm concerned, its preferred.

+1
    Why is it preferred over standard oil? Mikey ran synthetic oil in his gpr and said he used more oil than the standard oil, he's still using the oil pump. Just curious is all. We both have 05/06 gprs. So if the only reason is powervalves, then it won't apply to us. But if there is another reason, I'd be curious to see what it is. Thanks.
    SHOOTER

TRIPLE PIPES ARE 2-STROKE TURBOS allcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
    My opinion also. Sometimes the rings never seat correctly if synthetic is used during break in, I don't care if its a PWC, car, or lawnmower. After break in synthetic oil is fine to use, and as far as I'm concerned, its preferred.
    Thats old school synthetic lubricant thinking.

My Porsche came brand new with Mobil1 0-40 and the rings seated fine. New Mercedes, Chevy Corvettes and many other cars come with synthetic oil from the factory. Their rings seat perfectly.

When syn oil first came out, the thinking was to use dino oil for break in then switch to syn after break in... Times and ideas change.

The key to rings seating in modern day engines is machining techniques and the cyl wall finish, piston to wall clearance and ring tension.
    Of course if the timing/fuel air mixture and required octane are not right from the start...a fresh built detonating engine might not seat its rings well

I have built many car, superbike, pwc, atv, and sled motors and used syn oil from the start and never had a problem with ring blow-by or poor seating rings. If the motor is built right from the start, ring seating with synthetic oil should not be an issue.

If used pistons are matched with used rings and mated to used nic cyls, without 'breaking the glaze' on nic cyl walls, more than likely rings will not seat as well as most of us motor heads would want. For a shade tree mechanic just trying to 'get it runnin' might be fine

Contrary to popular believe, to properly break the glaze on a NSC bore cyl one MUST use a diamond hone.
    The dingle berry hones and even a sunnen drill mounted stone hone will not put the right ra finish cross hatch on a Nickel Silicon Carbide bore cylinder. Muriatic acid can maybe somewhat remove a glaze on a NCS cyl, but can NOT restore the proper ra cross hatch finish needed to seat rings perfectly.

Will a NSC cyl run that is dingle berry honed... sure, but its life expectancy and max performance is not what it could be if diamond honed properly.

jmho
    allcool
    Last edited by allcool; 08-04-2007 at 11:05 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information