Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

changing starter on wave raider 1100

i wasnt getting much help on pwctoday with this so i thought id post here. just like the title says. i have the new starter. i removed the two bolts on the old one. the starter isnt coming off. i tried prying it with a screwdriver but it wont budge. im probably missing something but im not really sure. also, is there anything that i can remove the the motor and put back on without needing new gaskets to make changing the starter easier? right now im doing everything by touch and reaching under the exhaust and only one hand fits. this is a real pita! thanks

Two bolts are all that hold on the starter. Your ground lead should be connected under one of the two bolts and the positive lead to the relay connected to the starter. It could be that the bendix is in a bind and hasn't released the starter gear. Try rotating the engine by hand and see if it wont free up. There is an o-ring that seals the starter to the case and sometimes they'll weld themselves over time to the case. You can always try tapping "lightly" with a rubber mallet. Good luck. There seems to be lot's of starter and bendix trouble this season.....hardly ever hear of any, but this year, that isn't the case.
    Mike

+1
    rubber mallet. tap lightly.
    then you'll get pissed and wallop the shit outta it and it''ll fly off.

i hit it with a crowbar because thats all i had that would fit in the space and i popped off. now im having another issue. somewhere along the line a wire is crossed. i put a new positive wire from the starter relay to the starter. for some reason when eventhing is connected and you try to start it, nothing happens except a quick spark at the negative terminal on the battery and the positive wire gets hot. if i disconnect the positive wire on the starter and hit the start button, the solenoid will click. i bench tested the starter and that seems to be working good. my friend said that the ground wire might be corroded ( even though both ends look mint) so im going to run a temporary ground wire to rule that out. nothing is touching and i cant figure this out at all. any help is appreciated. if anyone has wire diagrams or even the shop manual for this ski, i would greatly appreciate copies if possible. thanks.

also, i bought this ski a week ago. the guy told me the positive starter wire was shot and the starter might need to be replaced i replaced both. i connected everything exactly as i took it off. i did get to see it crank over very quickly before i bought it, howver the connection on the starter was so bad that it wouldnt crank for more then a second and i noticed that the wire was getting hot but i thought it was a result of the shitty positive wire that was on there.

+1
    Do you have the starter of now or back on.
    Take jumper cables from your car and go directly to the starter if it turns and the motor turns over then work back from starter to battery if it does not turn over then its in the pump or the motor.
    SD

i already bench tested the starter and it works fine. its an electrical issue because there shouldnt be an arc at the battery when i try to start the ski when everything is connected. if i disconnect the positive terminal on the starter, the solenoid will click like its supposed to. so, could this mean that the solenoid is shot? where else should i look? i could be wrong but all my electrical knowledge tells me that when you see an arc, something backwards.

btw, thanks for all the help im getting. i havent gotten any responses on the other forums. i appreciate it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Do you have the starter of now or back on.
    Take jumper cables from your car and go directly to the starter if it turns and the motor turns over then work back from starter to battery if it does not turn over then its in the pump or the motor.
    SD

This is what I would do I elliminate one thing at a time.

first off try what Flying Scotsman said. Then if that doesn't work. If you replaced the wires did use at least 4ga? 2nd did you at any time open up the ebox. If so is it possible that you flipped the leads one going to the bat and the other to the starter. With everything hooked up and you know its right have you tried to jump the relay?

Edit: I saw that you said you hooked up everything just like it was but sometimes is best to check again.
    Last edited by JonnyB; 08-07-2007 at 02:35 PM.

+1
    a quick spark at the negative terminal

if you jump to the starter you eliminate the bendix starter seized motor and or pump from the equation if you look in the service manual it shows the wiring and the way to test all your starting components.

At this point it could be anything from a battery installed wrong to a seized motor you need to start eliminating things to find your problem.

GOOD LUCK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information