Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    "probably" +/- $500

appx $300 in parts alone

Dang... I was afraid of that ?

What about the stripped out / spinning bolt on the intake grate.

I have now raed several posts about it and it seems to be a common problem.

Is that a warranty item ?

Thanks, Tim

+1
    i'm guessing the spinning bolt is one of the rear 3 bolts... one of the two outter ones and not the middle one... correct?

fuhhhhgedabout it ( if it's the bolt i'm referring to)... put the other bolts back on, and don't over tighten them.. there are pretty much only two important bolts that hold the grate on.. the front solo bolt that's 13mm... and the center middle rear bolt that's 10mm... those you can tighten fairly good, but the over two outters just snug and leave it... one of which is spun out so don't worry

where do u live? maybe someone on the forum is close by and can help you out in showing u the ropes or doing the job for you a little cheaper than a dealership may do it (this coming from a guy that works in a seadoo dealership, lol) ... i'm not saying all dealerships are a rip off... they need to work and charge within reasonable parameters. There's bills to be paid, a a chitload of overhead, so yea to do a prop and wear ring will probbaly run you in the neighborhood of 450-500, maybe a slight variation, depending on where u live and the labor rate and whatnot

+1
    Shib whats the best way to get those grate bolts loose the first time when replacing the grate to a riva one?

Shibbey 1485,

Yup ! You guessed it exactly... it's one of the three aft bolts and the front one on the starboard side.

But WHY did it do that to begin with ?

I'm in Baltimore. The closest dealership to me is Pete's Cycle. They have three locations, so I figured I'd have to call all 3 and see who can fix it the soonest.

I just got the ski 3 days ago and worry the dealer will tell me he's booked up for 3-4 weeks before he can get to it. That will shoot the rest of the season for me.

I did learn a lesson though... If the water is not 3 feet deep... the motor will be OFF !!!!!

+1
    a book of matches and apply heat.... lol...

na, hit them bolts with the propane torch for a few seconds to loosen up the factory thread locker... easy constant pressure on the ratchet... don't try and crank it and bust it lose... easy presure until she starts turning... keep heating it up if need be.

what i truthfully have had good luck with so far? the cordless impact gun... hate to jinx it, but i'm undefeated with the cordless impact gun when it comes to those intake grate bolts... salt water, corroded, 4 year old 4-tecs and all.. i just get under there with the gun and everytime they've come out with no heat or anything..... i'm sure i'll bust an insert loose tomorrow now for saying it

the right way would be applying a few moments of heat tho

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pratzert View Post
    Shibbey 1485,

Yup ! You guessed it exactly... it's one of the three aft bolts and the front one on the starboard side.

But WHY did it do that to begin with ?

I'm in Baltimore. The closest dealership to me is Pete's Cycle. They have three locations, so I figured I'd have to call all 3 and see who can fix it the soonest.

I just got the ski 3 days ago and worry the dealer will tell me he's booked up for 3-4 weeks before he can get to it. That will shoot the rest of the season for me.

I did learn a lesson though... If the water is not 3 feet deep... the motor will be OFF !!!!!
    i've got a friend Josh down there in the area... he works on skis at a shop part time... i bet he'd do it on the side for you ASAP.. his username here on the forum is 01xdime... send him a PM. he can get that prop and wear ring done for you no problem... he can even fix that insert as he just did the same thing to his intake grate this past week and called me asking for my suggestions for repairing those spinning bolts. He's good.

Shibby,

THANKS !

I'll PM him right now....

Regards, Tim

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pratzert View Post

that very line is what i emphasize to all new PWC owners... when i'm delivering a new unit to a first time customer, i always tell them if they do anything at all, operate in 3 feet or more and they'll most likely never be in the shop. my other tid bit of advice is have a chit load of fun! but avoid holding the throttle wide open in rough open waters.. just put 1/8" slack in the throttle, and when jumping waves always let go of the throttle while in the air and wait until u land.

if all watercraft owners followed this advice, there would be 90% LESS skis in for repair probably

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information