Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Wetsuit v. Drysuit

I need help on deciding which one to get so I have some questions..
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of each type?
    What's a good brand?
    What's a relatively inexpensive 1?
    What's the difference between the 2 (wet/dry suit)?

This is for 50° weather. Just trying to stay dry without adding a splash guard. Don't think I'll be using it for swimming.

+1
    Advantage of a dry suit is you dont get wet. Can wear regular clothes underneath. You dont get wet!
    The dry pants I have and love are made by Stohlquist.
    They were under $200.
    A wet suit when you fall in you get wet then your body warms up the water next to your skin and yopu stay wet all day. A dry suit you dont get wet!
    I usually just wear dry pants and regular clothes up top. If I do get thrown in I carry an extra set of upper clothes. very comfertable to ride in the winter this way. Hope this helps!!!

Drysuit: True drysuits are ment for extreme cold or for people who are constantly in the water. The advantage to a full dry suit is you wear what ever you want under. If its a warm day, just wear a set of boardshorts. If its cold, toss on a set of longjohns and be warm. The disadvantage is the cost. As the previous poster stated, a set of pants is $200. A full dry suit is going to be atleast $750 and up. Divers spend upwards of 3k for a custom drysuit.

Wetsuit: As the previous poster stated, you get wet. You hit the water, and the water will fill your wetsuit up with a thin layer of water. Your body heats the water and you stay warm. The advantage is cost. I purchased a full 7mm wetsuit (for scuba) for $75. A great wetsuit will be around $300. You have to choose the thickness to regulate your body temp. If your in the cold waters, a 7mm will be fine. If your in the warmer waters (around 60 degrees F) you can go with a 3mm/5mm (sufer style wetsuit).

If you have excess cash, by all means, purchase a drysuit. If you are on a budget, the wetsuit will serve you well. I recommend to jump in the water when you launch the seadoo. That way you have time to warm up that thin layer of water.

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    I need help on deciding which one to get so I have some questions..
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of each type?
    What's a good brand?
    What's a relatively inexpensive 1?
    What's the difference between the 2 (wet/dry suit)?

This is for 50° weather. Just trying to stay dry without adding a splash guard. Don't think I'll be using it for swimming.
    Drysuits are for pussies, no offense to anyone. I ride in 40*F water or COLDER in the spring with 50*F air temps no problem. I have a Jet Pilot 4/3MM wetsuit and wear the Slippery switch pants over it. Keeps me plenty warm without sacrificing mobility. Throw some shoes, gloves, and a beanie on and you're good to go.

Here's some pics from this year's shit in May. May sound cliche, but the pictures do not do the conditions justice. It was just plain nasty out.
    Last edited by RXP-REX; 03-26-2010 at 11:33 AM.

+1
    good stuff

thanks guys

+1
    I think it has something to do with funds. When the water is 40 or colder and you choose to get wet when you dont have to you are one stupid donkey! No offence though to anyone who chooses to get wet, or cant afford to stay dry!

Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeRXP View Post
    When the water is 40 or colder and you choose to get wet when you dont have to you are one stupid donkey!
    No, you just don't fall off. Also, when you get sprayed you dry off from the wind. I've never felt overly cold in those conditions.

+1
    All I know is once you try dry you will never recommend a wet suit especially if you dont plan on getting wet! For you to come on here and say dry suits are for pusses just shows how little you know. The only way you will know how wrong your statement was is to just try dry. His question was to compare the 2 and you have never even tried a dry suit!

Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeRXP View Post
    All I know is once you try dry you will never recommend a wet suit especially if you dont plan on getting wet! For you to come on here and say dry suits are for pusses just shows how little you know. The only way you will know how wrong your statement was is to just try dry. His question was to compare the 2 and you have never even tried a dry suit!
    I see your point about staying dry, but in my opinion if you're worried about getting wet then buy a boat not a ski. For me even a splash of cold water in my face feels good. And I see no reason to even try a dry suit when a wetsuit does more than a fine job for my taste. I have a wetsuit and have used it countless times. I think my opinion is more than valid. Like one user said, once the wetsuit gets wet your body heat warms up the water it retains and it acts like another layer of skin. Even if you don't get it wet it still works great. I have NEVER been chilled while wearing my wetsuit in ANY conditions. Buy a wetsuit instead of a drysuit and put the money you saved toward more go fast parts.
    Last edited by RXP-REX; 08-05-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RXPkid View Post
    Drysuits are for pussies, no offense to anyone. I ride in 40*F water or COLDER in the spring with 50*F air temps no problem. I have a Jet Pilot 4/3MM wetsuit and wear the Slippery switch pants over it. Keeps me plenty warm without sacrificing mobility. Throw some shoes, gloves, and a beanie on and you're good to go.

Here's some pics from this year's shit in May. May sound cliche, but the pictures do not do the conditions justice. It was just plain nasty out.

you must have been really itchin for a ride... cus those conditions BLOWWWW

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information