Removing flywheel on 96 SLT Polaris

Got a great deal on a 96 SLT 780. Only problem is the starter spins and the idler gear does not engage the flywheel. No problem(so I thought) pulled flywheel cover (not sealed) and found lots of rust on flywheel and idler gear. Attached flywheel puller and ended up pulling one of the bolts out of the flywheel. Is my next step pull the engine and torch the flywheel while using PB Blaster or what??? I am open for ideas!! Please help I would like to get this ski in the water soon.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    They use red loctite on them making it real hard to remove. Check out this thread as the 750 and 780 are the same. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...light=flywheel

Flywheel

Thanks for replying. I was using a three bolt puller and it stripped the threads on one hole right out of the flywheel. Should I try tapping the hole in the flywheel or what???

www.springbreak-florida.com rgard32's Avatar
    get a longer bolt and screw it in further....you prolly didnt have it in very far if you pulled the bolt out............alot of people dont agree but i use some heat on the flywheel right where it slides over the crank.....it burns off that lock-tite......takes about 10 min.and then it falls off.....it just makes it ezier with those cheap pullers from the auto parts store lol.

Thumbs up

Sounds like a plan. Hope to get time during the week to try that. Something about having to work to support my PWC habit. Thanks again I will post when I work on it.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Don't run the bolts too far where it bottoms out onto the stator. You can ruin the wiring behind it, I know. If you can get an impact wrench, use it, they help alot when removing the flywheel. I'm surprised you pulled the threads out of the flywheel, I stripped a bolt of it's threads doing the same thing.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Are you using an air impact gun on the center bolt? It helps a lot and you can tap it with a plastic hammer. The Fuji's sound like a shot gun when they pop.

Thread Information