Hello, just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm completely new to this sport, and boating in general. I've done a ton of research on the net about rules and laws, trying to learn as much as I can, because I don't want to be one of those guy you talk about in a thread about "things you hate most about our sport".

I've had a chance to ride a couple of skis in my life, but it was about 10 years ago (I'm 30 next month). They were owned by friends. I loved every minute of it, and have dreamed of one day owning one for myself.

Well the time has finally come, and my wife and I are now looking at Yamahas. We first had considered Sea-Doo, but after doing some of my research, I realized that they aren't very reliable. Yamahas are apparently ALOT more reliable, have a better warranty program, and quite a bit cheaper in general.

What we are thinking about buying is 1 2007 GP1300R for me, and 1 2007 VX Cruiser for her (as she's not too big on raw speed, and we'd like to be able to pull a tube later sometime. We have 3 kids all under 3 lol)

I think the GPR is right for me, as if I bought something less, I would soon want more I think, and regret not getting it to begin with.

I'm just not 100% sure if the Cruiser is right for her or not. I worry about it being underpowered, and I end up doing nothing but waiting on her to catch up to me constantly. I think the GPR should have no problem with manuverability, but I'm not sure about the big long heavy Cruiser.

If any of you have any opinions at all, please pass them this way. I'm open for any advice you can give.

Also, I'm very curious about 1 more thing. How can I get my 1300 to sound like this (see link) eventually? I don't need it to go as fast as this, but I am interested in knowing what parts/modifications were done to achieve this sound. It's insane.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

+1
    hi and welcome,good choice in skis for him and her...

stick with the forum there are great guys here and loads of info..

grab a gpr soon as its belived to be there last year..

short answer to getting your gpr to sound and go like that is $$$$

paul...
    Last edited by Hydrotherapy; 08-05-2007 at 04:50 PM.

+1
    Welcome to the forum!!!

That sounds like a ported, possibly big bore motor. Takes a bit of time and money. Mine sounds a lot like that.

If you are thinking the VX is a bit underpowered for the wife, you might look into a FX140 or FX160..... not as fast as the GPR, but it's a Cadillac on the water.

If you're looking to buy brand new and can wait a few weeks, do.

The 2008's will be announced in about a month. That way you can either decide to buy the 2008's or get 2007's for less $.

The rumors say the 08's will be a big improvement, but they're just that, rumors.

Either way you will be happy... You're doing it right. Read, read, read, and when you think you have it, read some more

+1
    welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzK View Post
    If you're looking to buy brand new and can wait a few weeks, do.

The 2008's will be announced in about a month. That way you can either decide to buy the 2008's or get 2007's for less $.

The rumors say the 08's will be a big improvement, but they're just that, rumors.

Either way you will be happy... You're doing it right. Read, read, read, and when you think you have it, read some more
    Welcome to the forum there is a wealth of information to be had here. I couldn't have stated it any better than BlitzK if you have the time to wait. But I think you are making a good choice for both of you. Good luck and enjoy.

Thread Information