Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

my 96xp vs my 94xp - porpoiseing issues!

Hi. This is my first post, looking for a little direction here. I just (5 weeks ago) bought a 96XP. I have had a 94XP for years and wanted the bigger engine of the '96. However, i find that I can't keep the 96 in the water! To remedy this problem, I added the R&D ride plate and wings, and that has helped some, but my '94 still hooks up 90% better. Have I jumped the gun here? Is the solution as simple as just adjusting the nozzle down?

My 94XP has flame arresters and I rejetted the carbs and replaced the impeller. Additionally I added Beach House sponsons. But it will hook up nicely and jump waves nicely when the trim is all the way up. It actually hooks up better with the trim all the way up then the 96 does with the trim down. However, one thing I notice with the 94 is that when i am wide open and i trim it out (all the way up) i can feel the ski accelerate. I don't feel that with the 96.

Any ideas here? I am really disappointed so far and actually prefer riding the 94 at this point. Is this just a function of the additional HP and weight? Would sponsons help? (I don't really want to do the sponsons because my friends always get thrown off the 94 with the beach house sponsons when they try to spin out! lol)

I'm open to suggestions / ideas and your experiences.

thanks much.
    (edited to removed the '95 errors)
    Last edited by indycar; 08-05-2007 at 07:25 PM.

Jug Inspector
    Is it a 95 or 96? You've said it's both. The 95 is totally different than the 96, unless you have the 800 engine in it.

Are you sure your trim is even working???

Bryan

sorry = I have a 94 xp and a 96 xp. Yes, the trim is working. [It does have some effect, but i have not checked it to see if it has a full range of motion - just because the gauge moves from high to low doesn't mean the nozzle is - I'll check that monday morning to be sure]

The 96xp is the same hull as the 94-95 isn't it? I know in 95 they made the XP with both the 751 and 800 motor.

+1
    get rid of the r&d rideplate and trim tabs and go back to the stock ones. my 96xp has stock rideplate and trim tabs with a r&d intake and doesn't porpoise even with the trim in the fully up. if the stock ones cause you to porpoise, make sure that they are level with the hull and shim if needed.

ok JayZ .. .. but I will still have the problem .. BTW, I also have a R&D intake grate on both skis. I'm guessing if you don't have the problem, then my rear nozzle must need to be adjusted downward. I notice there is an adjustable linkage that will allow me to adjust the nozzle downward. I guess it's just going to be a trial and error thingy. I glad to know that your ski does not porpoise - that means there is light at the end of the tunnel!

+1
    hopefully you get it fixed. forgot to mention that i do have beach house sponsons on it. i also have my nozzle adjusted all the way up at the linkage for wave jumping and doing tricks.

UPDATE

OK, just a simple update and request for some additional info. I'm somewhat embarrassed that I jumped right into a ride plate and tabs before i went to adjust the nozzle angle

I did adjust the angle yesterday and went to a short test ride, and that certainly solved the problem. However, I think I have over adjusted the down angle, as now the ski is doing about 55. So some fine tuning is called for - and perhaps removing the plate and tabs as suggested by JayZ.

I'm wondering if those of you out there with 96xp's would be so kind as to count the number threads you have from the jam nut back? (my 94 XP has a different trim design)

Jug Inspector
    The rideplate is what slowing you down.

Also, there are 2 different types of R&D wings. The first production made hung too low and dragged in the water unless properly set up. Most people did not properly set them up so they went to a supposed no-drag setup. I have the stock ones on mine and they work great so I don't need anything else.

What works on one ski for adjustment will not work on another in reference to the trim system. Just adjust it so it goes up and down evenly.

I'm not sure what the big deal is? You can crank it up or down while riding... it's not a stationary thing. That's the whole reason for it. Trimming it up after you're on plane will get your speed. Except the crappy rideplate and wings of course.

Bryan

Thanks. I guess the big deal is that no amount of adjustment would stop me from being mistaken for a kangaroo if i was riding in Australia! The ski simply won't stay in the water, no matter where the trim was set.

(As mentioned earlier, my 94xp hooks up much better with the trim all the way up vs the 96xp with trim all the way down) That's what has been driving this thread. The two ski's couldn't be more different in that respect. In retrospect, i should have just started adjusting the trim linkage. But I apparently over-thought the additional power and weight shift towards the stern (with the battery now in the back vs 94xp) that I went looking in the wrong places.

BTW - I'm still interested in the number of threads showing past the jam nut on the trim linkage if anyone is willing. I just used a razor blade to count the gaps, sliding it backwards from the jam nut to the last thread and counting the 'jumps'

Jug Inspector
    Try the stock rideplate and trim tabs. The R&D equipment may be dragging so much that the R&D intake grate is stuffing the pump.

Bryan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information