Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MSX 140 shutting down

I have an MSX 140 that starts with no problem, runs fine for about 5-10 minutes then shuts off.
    It starts again after waiting 15 minutes or so but then dies again faster than it did the last time. A couple of times I was able to get it started for a few seconds by pumping the throttle .

I have gotten 3 different opinions from polaris techs but I'm not ready to bring it in for service yet. (trying to find a shop that still wants to work on a polaris is a trick then the turn around is 14-21 days at the closest shop that said they will look at it is 65 miles away.)
    2 of the techs I talked to said it sounds electrical and suggested cleaning battery terminals and checking sensors, etc.. I checked all the power connections and cleaned everything with no luck. I don't know what to check as far a sensors. The other tech said it is the fuel pump. I checked the diagram for this machine and it appears to be in the fuel tank. I am not sure I'll meess with that.

I pulled the plugs after it died and there is no major build up of fuel. 2 of the plugs were actually dry. I haven't checked to see if it's getting spark after it dies yet.
    Please, can anyone give me an idea of something I may be able to fix myself before giving the boat up until september?
    Has anyone had a similar problem?
    I tried searching the forums for a couple of days now with no luck.

Thanks!

+1

MSX

First lets establish whether it has spark when it won't start after it shut down .Then we can take it from there ..

Cheers

Bernie

+1
    I'd check for spark as Bernie suggested, if it's good I'd check your fuel pressure.

Went out to check it this morning and couldn't get it to start at all.
    Normally I get at least a couple of minutes of run time. It cranked fine.
    If it was overheat protection like I was told it should have at least started, no?

Pulled the plugs one at a time and no spark but fuel was flowing.
    I'm not sure how to check the fuel pressure but fuel misted out of each of the spark plug holes when I turned it over.

The thing that made me believe it might be fuel before was after it died one of my friends told me to pump the throttle as I was cranking it.
    I did and got it started a couple of times for a very short period.
    I tried it since then and it didn't do a damn thing.

Thanks for your help! I need to learn to work on these things.
    Giving it up for 2-3 weeks every time I have a problem is crazy and expensive.

+1
    Ok easy way to check for some fuel pressure is to press the start button and crank it over for a second .With the seat off you should see the fuel lines move as they pressurise .Put you hand on the lines and you should feel the lines pulse as the fuel is fed and as the pressure decreases when you stop cranking .Take your plugs out and crank the engine for a few seconds .You should hear the injectors firing .Do this and tell us what you find .Also disconnect TPS and try starting it before you start your tests .It should just idle .Sounds like the week for Stators, maybe.

Bernie

Hello Bernie. the fuel lines appear to jump when the engine is cranked. as far as pulsing, the lines are so thick, I can't really tell. You can definitely hear the fuel injectors firing.
    Where is the TPS on this thing and what is a Stator? Hopefully not too dumb of a question(s).

I've been trying to find a diagram of this or any other pwc so I can find my way around and not ask too many basic questions.

Disconnected the TPS and no start.

This is probably going to be another dumb question but, the manual recommends a 19 amp hour battery. The guy who stores our skis in the winter replaced the battery with an 18 amp hour battery (faytx20hl). The polaris guy I talked to on the phone said he had 2 machines in where they ran normal after cleaning just the battery terminals.
    I guess it needed the extra power that was being lost because of corrosion to pump the fuel properly or something.
    If I have a battery with an amp lower output, could that be the problem?

I hate to keep replying to my own posts but after a little research I realize how asinine my last post was. I am going to just bring the damn thing in for service. I am still going to learn how to work on my skis if it's the last thing I do. It is too hard to find a shop you can trust and I hate waiting. I guess I will start by getting the service manual for this one.
    Does anybody know where I can download a copy? Checked purepolaris and a few other sites, no luck. It looks like some of the guys selling them on ebay are selling the cd version so it must be out there somewhere to be downloaded. One huge .pdf I would guess. If I do have to purchase the manual I will post it somewhere.

+1
    There is a copy floating around the board somewhere .I think you might be going to have a hard time of getting to the bottom of it .You need to find if there is a Tech guy around your area that has the wrench diagnostic program for your ski .If he doesn't find someone who does as it is the best way too find the issues with these things .Other than that you will need a multimeter and some time to go through the problems .The information ie values you need are in the polaris forum go through the tech section and how to section .You should find it there .We need to establish the spark issue for sure .I would be looking at stator test first ,then move through the list

Bernie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information