Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Power loss

Power loss

Wife took out the ski today and nothing went right.

By what I am being told. It runs perfect outside the water but once stuck into the water under a load it bogs down and dies when trying to give it full throttle.

I know it not the fuel selector as it is by passed I just havent had time to put new one on. It has new plugs(BPR8ES) that havent even had time to be burned in.

Last time I was out on it was a couple weeks ago but on the way in the wifes cousing was on it last and said that he had run out of gas. Once he got it in on trailer I switch hoses to reserve and it ran good but that was on the trailer.

To me it sounds like something happened a couple weeks ago when it was out last and when they took out the ski today it was clear there was an issue.

So by what Im being told It runs fine out of the waterr but under a load it doesnt get over 4 or 5 mph and if they give it gas to go faster it dies. It does start back up fine.

Im gonna have some time to look at it tommorow but by the clymers manual it states carb adjusment, timeing, or over heating.

I would elimate over heating as it doesnt run long enough if you give it gas to go.

Is there anything anyone can suggest or a specific direction to look.

Thanks

I would check the compression. These things don't like to be run out of fuel.

I have a similar problem and I found that it was only running on 1 cylinder. That may help you to troubleshoot.

ok I am suppose to be at work but this has been driving me nuts.

Got home and went to work.

Here is what I found. Center piston head and cylinder are screwed.
    I do have a pic of the head but its on my wifes phone and she went for dinner bit it pitted to hell.

Here are a couple pics to go on. I know what needs to be done but would like some input for any ideas just incase Im missing anything.

PTO and MAG look great so these are only the center.

Here are a couple more quick pics

Yea, that was what I was afraid of.

Looks like a rebuild is in order.

On a side note it give me a reason do the carbs, block off kit blah blah blah. I was going to do all of it during the winter but I minus well do it now while Im in there.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Very odd that the CEN cyl is bad. It's usually the other 2 that go. My guess would be obstructed fuel flow to that cyl. or your cousin sucked up some water and hydrolocked your crank. Do an index before anything else. If it's good, then rebuild the carbs for sure and replace the fuel lines. What size engine is that? I may have a complete cyl, piston w/ rings and a head for you.

Xlint its from a SL 750.

I know about a month ago a ski rope got sucked up in it but it was killed quick
    and didnt hurt anything.

Crank and everything is fine. Everything turns pefect. No noise or anything but with the chunck missing Im woried about where it all went.

Im sure I know what the problem is as I found the oil tank empty. and Im guessing it happened last time they were out but I dont think it really got to bad untill today as they say it ran and started fine on the trailer but had issues in the water.

Either way this blows but now I got something to do on it. I was planning on putting a block off kit a while back but thought I would wait till winter. Wish I would have done it when I thought about doing it the first time.

Thanks,
    Ron

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    DOHHHH!!!!!! First, definately index the crank if you sucked up a rope just to be sure. Second, I would worry about the missing metal getting into your crank bearings. And third if it was out of oil, I'd be worried about the bearings even more. If you feel lucky and want to go ahead, I have a complete std. bore cyl, head and piston w/ rings if you want a quick fix for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information