Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

04 RXP Starting problem

I just got all of my mods finished last week (Except for the intake grate) and my RXP is running great... except whenever you try and start it =/

It starts up fine cold; but if you run it for a while and stop, then try and start again... it takes an act of congress to start; and today I had to get towed in because it wouldn't.

I've had the starter relay replaced once already... but this doesn't feel like the same thing. I wait for the 3 chirps, after I put in the key and press start... and the engine tries to turn over but won't. Then, I can hear the 'click click click' of the starter... if I don't take the key out, the display reboots... but it's weird, because it clears all of the data... like trip-time, mileage (not hours tho).

Any guesses? I don't think it's the starter cause it (Was) turning it over, and at least trying too... I just had the spark plugs replaced last week. I've got the Rotax Wheel but I'm still running stock injectors... is it toooo lean? Bad solanoid? Relay again?

sorry; this is just frustrating =/

(I've already replaced my washers before anyone asks )

No ideas? When trying to start it now (been about 5 hours since it was last running) it's just click-click-clicking.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    original battery? i would start with a new battery first if it's more than 2 years old

then i'd take a screw driver or pliers and try jumping the starter relay and see if the motor starts cranking

+1
    You could try charging the battery. Like last week when I was getting the water out of my motor sometimes it would just click. So I hooked the battery up to a charger for about 30mins and worked just fine.

Grabbing the Bat. charger now.... would that be the reason the display shows, then restarts?

also.. anyone else running the RR wheel w/stock injectors? I'm going to #42 this winter... but i dunno if I should wait that long?

+1
    could be I'm not sure. I've been running a Les Cooke A-kit fan with stock injectors all race season.

+1
    with the xs intercooler and air intake you will want the 42# injectors..
    My ski has been doing the same thing as yours for a while. I'm mostly with Shibby, that it's the battery. I still have the original on my 05 RXP so it's most likely the culprit. Although I did charge mine like Kenshin while getting water out of my engine also and it would turn over for a couple seconds but then start clicking..

I know I'm going to have to go with the bigger injectors once I get the XS; but thats coming in Sept / October or something. I just don't know if I need to go ahead and spring for them or not.

Best bet is just going to be grabbing a new battery? It's still the original battery that came with it... If I'm dumping $2K into it; whats another $75 to make sure its starts, right?

I hate that clicking noise tho =/

Pulled the battery out...and if it's not it; then it needs replacing anyways... Water was below the 'low' line by a long shot, and the side walls were flexed out a little... like it was swollen. So; buying a replacement tommorrow and going from there.

Thanks for all y'alls help!

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    oh man... it's shot... definitely get a new one, i bet your problem is fixed.

either get a sealed battery.. OR... if u get a acid battery again, you need to take care of it properly. remove it from boat each winter, top off all the cells with distilled water, and trickle charge it all winter... it's the right way to make them last...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information