Buying a GPR. Help Needed!

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but I know of the great help that is offered. I am interested in buying a 01' GP1200r that's locally for sale in my area. I was wandering what I should look for and what I should ask. Also, I was wandering if there are any known problems with these crafts. Thanks for your help, I hope to get to know everyone better

+1
    Welcome to the forum!

Most important thing is for you to check compression on all 3 cylinders. I can't recall what the stock PSI is, but you want to make sure they all have good compression, they should all be close to each other. If it's a completely stock 2001, I bet the impeller is shot too; pull the pump and look at it.

As far as problems, powervalves and oil lines are the big ones. The powervalves have been known to drop down and catch the piston, and the oil lines have been known to come loose. You will want to install some waveeater clips (not expensive, worth every penny), and either go pre-mix or get real anal about securing the oil lines.

Thanks for the fast reply

Okay, this might sounds stupid but how do i check compression and how do i remedy the powervalves problem?

+1
    You need a compression guage. You can probably get a cheap one at an auto parts store; it won't be accurate, but you can use it to confirm that all 3 cylinders have about the same compression.

Waveeater clips fix the powervalve problems.... very easy install.

http://www.rivayamaha.com/RivaStore/...ervalve%20Kits

Okay, thank you so much.

Before the purchase I will post pics and further details.

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    Buying the ski, make sure that there is no hull damage ... ( big dents, scratches, holes...etc.) It's also smart to check the hours on it.. make sure it isn't in anything like the 300 ... * doubt it* but. And while looking ask the seller if you guys can start it up.. make sure that baby runs. Don't wanna buy a ski and have it not run. . . I bought my ski, and later found out I needed a new impeller because the old had chunks off of it and the ski didn't run 100% it was a big thrill the first time out.

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    another thing i forgot to say.. i dont no if you ebay at all.. but if you dont already have a jet ski.. with the good price and all look at ebay for a few weeks. I bought mine then a week later there was a race ski with every part I'm wanting in mine and it sold the same price I bought mine for... it was bad... I was soo mad at myself that i've now spent a few grand in parts and what not.. when I could have it all... on ebay look at the pictures and ask many questions... make sure its 100% legit.. and then be sure if its far away that they are willing to drive half way..

Good luck.. i need of help... PM i'll try my best to answer

check for oil in the hull. get a mirror and a light and inspect under where the pump shoe and intake grate are, shaft,prop,pump etc.. also take that light and look at the pistons, with the spark plugs out.

I would try for a lake test before you lay down the cash. That way you can check for water in the hull. See if there is someone from this forum that would help you take a look at it also. Definetly do a compression test, it's a health checkup for the engine.

Thread Information